Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Why do some atheists care that there are theists?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
assuaging

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you a fellow Mockingbird, Ben? The only time I have ever heard that word used (either in written form or by the spoken word) in my entire life has been in Harper Lee’s classic novel. (But then again, I live a sheltered life.)

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Great book, but haven't read it in 13 years. I've probably seen in somewhere else and it just struck my fancy at the time.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, so you no longer claim that I need to believe in something bigger than myself to deal with past issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember ever claiming that as to your feelings. You need God as do all, whether or not you feel it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I cut and pasted it from another of your posts. I'll find it if you like but as you no longer lay claim to that belief there's not much point.

[ QUOTE ]
There are good reasons to believe Christianity is true whether you know them or not and whether you feel them or not. When you reject God you harden your heart towards him whether you feel it or not or know it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great, so you except that even if christianity is true I can be genuinely mistaken and honest in my lack of belief.

Do you go further and see that no good god could possibly condemn me for an honest mistake?

chez
Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Great, so you except that even if christianity is true I can be genuinely mistaken and honest in my lack of belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you go further and see that no good god could possibly condemn me for an honest mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your 'no' means that again I have the best possible evidence that you are wrong. Your 'yes' means (to me) that you are a lot nicer then some others who call themselves Christian.

chez
Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Do you believe this top 15% should be only allowed the vote?"

I am on record as advocating that the most qualified people, not necessarily the same 15% we are speaking of here, should be given two votes while the rest have one. This increases the chances of a good result (even by the standards of the one voters who would more likely vote for someone they would later admit was the wrong candidate) without giving them power to take over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the current system already give a massive bias towards the most intelligent/expert?

I've understood you to say that its not the goals of the less fortunate you have an issue with but their ability to correctly decide how best to achieve those goals.

Then a huge number of stupid people with the same goals cancel each other out because the destination of their vote is poorly correlated with their goal. This reduces the value of their vote compared to the clever people whose vote is highly correlated with their goals.

chez
Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all stupid people do not fit that criteria. But it seems that most of those few who do, have registered on this website.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some how I think the residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would rather we had crucified Einstein instead of Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you think of it as Christians who wanted the bomb built and made the decision to drop the bomb, your question turns on it's head.

I propose a new one. Who would the Jew's rather have had, Einstein, or Christ, considering this:

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."

I'll give you a hint who wrote this. It was in Mein Kampf.

Also, I'd like to address the "has religion done more good than harm" question. It's a tough question; it's difficult to quantify. What does one person murdered/mutiliated in the name of religion equal on the good side? I'd say units of good would have to be huge. I'd also like to point out that one nuke in the hands of a religious fanatic would make this question a no-brainer.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I'm talking only about the ability to come to undebatable correct answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

An example of some of these undebatable correct answers are?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:43 PM

Which is worse?

1. To think that you're kinda smart when you are actually not very smart at all?

OR

2. To think that you're among the smartest minds in the world when you are merely extremely smart?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is worse?

1. To think that you're kinda smart when you are actually not very smart at all?

OR

2. To think that you're among the smartest minds in the world when you are merely extremely smart?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I wish I had no smarts at all, sometimes. Life is not easy when the majority of folk around you (not that I am so smart, just…) well you get the idea. Combine this with the fact that I am somewhat of a neat freak (not obsessive mind you, more a matter of being organized) and is it any wonder why I need a God?