Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: QQ in Big Blind

Overplaying QQ is a very big hole in a lot of people's games, and you might as well add AK to that mix.

When you have a lot of action in front of you from solid players reraising in this spot is a very poor play I think. You just want to call and hope to hit the flop or have it come rags. A lot of times I would plan to check raise on a flop of rags, and decide what to do based on the action.

If an A or K hits on the flop well then you just check it and hope to see the Turn for free or very cheaply. Playing too aggressively on flops with over cards, ie A or K is a quick way to lose your stack. With two other people seeing the flop you have to be a little cautious here. If you call and then have the person behind you reraise what does that tell you? You are beat is what it tells me, especially if the LP raiser calls or reraises, then you just muck it.

Tournaments are about avoiding huge confrontations for all your chips, unless you have the nuts obviously. If you have AA then obviously you shoot the moon here, perhaps even KK, but not QQ.

Unless you have a huge stack and have your opponents covered by a great margin, then pushing preflop in this situation is a horrendous move.

People that advocate pushing to try and get heads up or put the other guys to a tough decision are missing the point. How tough are you going to make it for the guy with AA or KK in this spot? Not very.

Don't overplay QQ, just call and leave them wondering what you have. When the Q hits the flop you make a ton of chips on this hand off of you AA or KK opponent, otherwise you can muck it in the face of a lot of action on a flop that misses you with overcards.