Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Party 10/20 Extracting the max, Take 2.

ihatecats, why didn't you reraise the flop? what did you think villain was representing when he minraised the turn that you were scared to push your overcards and flush draw?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:24 PM

i dont really like your initial river bet. i think its better to checkraise or make a super weak lead. what hands do you think are most likely for the villian and what do you think they will do vs your bet as opposed to other potential actions you could take?

my best guess of what your opponent has are:
- flush
- straight
- weak made hand like T9 or so
- nothing, he was just bluffing the flop

1) if he has a flush he may well raise but he would have bet if you checked. if he is a cautious opponent he might not even raise a weak flush because it looks a lot like you either have a flush or a hand that cant call a raise anyway after you bet.
2) straight, your bet may well freeze him up while he will most likely value bet. he may well not call your raise but people make some pretty horrible plays when you give them a chance and i think you make about as much as with your line even when he folds to the raise.
3) weak made hand. he may well check behind and you might lose some value but if he has something like T9 he is probably folding to your bet anyway. to get much of any value out of this type of hand he almost has to have backed into 2 pair or trips with something like J9 or JJ. these would call your bet, like the straight, would often bet after you check again.
4) nothing, unless he is aggro/goofy enough to raise your bet a fair amount of the time checking gives him a chance to get himself into trouble on a scary river card.

basically, it looks to me like most of the hands that will pay off your bet will be betting anyway but your bet may freeze up a decent number of good hands. if he has a straight or a flush and you check, he bets 500 or so and you go allin you will have created a great situation that capitalizes on about the most common weakness most players have which is an inablility to fold very strong hands. even if he does find a fold i think you get about as much out of most hands as your line did.

what hand calls your value bet that would not have bet itself? what hand raises your bet that would not have called a check raise?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one of the worst posts yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual you are right. Jesus.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:30 PM

There wasn't enough $ in the middle to justify a push considering out remaning stack sizes since it was far too easy for him to have 2 pair, a set or the straight here, any of which have me in bad shape on a push. He could be reraising me with air but pushing on that co-ordinated of a board against the hand range of a button caller is inordinately risky with just a flush draw and overs and the pot simply wasn't that big yet. I figured there was about a 30% chance that he was on some sort of flush draw and that if the heart came on the turn, I'd easily stack him. The river Jh obviously made that possible, if slighly more difficult, I just blew it with my failure to push which was clearly a mistake. Unlike a lot of players however, I rarely put someone on a specific holding, I bet based on a range of hands and I was hoping the slightly less than all in bet might get a crying call from a set or two pair that otherwise might not call here.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like most posssible scenario is he has a smaller flush, so I'd push all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]