Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Blind defense questions: how flawed was my reasoning?

I've been trying to improve my MTT play, and one(of several) seemingly constant cause of second guessing is when/how often to steal and when/how often to defend my blinds.

These are a couple blind defense hands. I should add that maybe my idea of what it means to defend my blinds is flawed.

The first one is from the UB $125K guaranteed a few weeks ago. (I won a seat, as you'll probably be able tell by the end of this post, i'm not in a position to be able to buy into a $200 tournament). Unfortunately, UB doesn't seem to have hand histories, so I have to go from memory, I hope I have enough to get some opinions:

Middle stages of the tourney, between 1/3 to 1/2 of the field is out. I have above average stack in SB. BTN has below average, I have him covered by about 200 chip, blinds (I think) are 200/400. Talbe has been playing pretty tight, most raises from any position go uncalled. BTN has been tight, but has stolen blinds from late position once or twice.

All fold to btn, BTN raises to 1200, I call w/ A7c...

(??...I'm thinking that I know A7c isn't very strong, but with all the stealing going on, it's good enough to see what happens on the flop)
Pot is about 3000. flop TT7 rainbow, I bet 1000(??), BTN calls

turn is a blank, at this point he's got about 2000 left and I decide to put him all in, leaving me with around 2000.

river is a blank

Results:

<font color="white"> BTN showed A10 and takes down the pot </font>

Regardless of my play on the flop and turn(although comments are welcome...should I pretty much plan to check/fold after I'm called on the flop?), should I have even put myself in that position with A7c? If I do decide to defend, how often should I defend with a raise?

The 2nd one is from the Pacific $200K guaranteed this past Monday.

Late stages of the tourney, 35-40 people left. Average stack is around 45,000, I post the 6000BB(3000/6000) and am left with around 40,000. BTN is chip leader(100K+), seems solid, and has made some aggressive plays; stolen a few blinds, put an EP short stacked raiser all in w/ AQ with several people left to act. Not ultra-aggressive, but aggressive.

All fold to btn, BTN raises to 30,000, hero has AJo...

(With a raise of that amount, I'm thinking he doesn't want any callers, but I also realize if I push, he's calling no matter what. I think there's a very good chance I have the best hand, and at some point I'm going to have to make a move if I'm going to be in position to make the final table. Is this the wrong point to make that stand?)

Results:

<font color="white"> I push, BTN calls w/ AK, but I catch a J to double up. BTN types "loser" and "retard" in chat. Is he right?</font>

Sorry about the formatting, like I said, no text hand histories.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Blind defense questions: how flawed was my reasoning?

No opinions?

too obvious?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:09 PM

A7 is pretty weak hand to be risking so much, on that flop you should have checked to see what he would do. By betting out like that and him calling you need to be done with this hand. Who calls that bet? a 10 or a hand that is a higher pair than a 7.

The second hand is far to weak to risk so much. You will be behind to most hands that raise in that situation. Do you think he is willing to risk so much with a hand that AJo is ahead of?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 AM

Yeah, I realize I should have checked the flop and made even bigger mistakes after that. But I'm wondering if I should have just let the hand go pre-flop in the first place. Like I said one of the things I struggle with is when to defend my blinds.

As far as the second hand, are you saying a bullying chip leader will only/mostly open-raise on the button with better than AJ? Is that because he raised to 5X BB instead of, say, 3X BB where he might be able to get away from the hand if I push? Otherwise, wouldn't a big stack in position look to steal/accumulate more chips in those situations?