Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 09:33 PM

Default To call down or not to call down, part 1.

Hero is on a massive downswing if it matters. I figured my AQ was just strong enough to call down with. See part 2 for one I folded.

Comments?

Online 40/80 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 11-02-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: To call down or not to call down, part 1.

He 3 bet a 10 Handed UTG raise from the SB, unless you have a strong read calling down here is very bad.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is on a massive downswing if it matters. I figured my AQ was just strong enough to call down with. See part 2 for one I folded.

Comments?

Online 40/80 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Any info on the SB? What is his 3betting range? Thats really the question.

Preflop I'd be inclined to cap this hand heads up, but given that you didn't the rest of the hand is really player dependant.

I think the real decision is on the turn. If you know anything about the SB, you need to decide and act accordingly. Would he 3bet preflop and lead both streets with a worse hand then AQ? If not you should fold. If he will, the next thing you have to ask yourself is is he capable of folding a better hand, that he'd 3 bet with (AK or maybe a medium pair), to a turn raise. If so, raise the turn and then decide on the river. If he's showing down regardless, but you think you might be winning, call down.

A river raise also isn't a horrible idea if you think he'll give you credit for a big pair/set and will fold a better hand on the river.

thoughts...

lf
Old 11-02-2005, 09:43 PM

SB is unknown.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB is unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

That being the case, and i'm sure i'm in the minority here, I call down and learn what he's 3 betting with. Hopefully he showed KK and you weren't drawing dead...

I still like a turn raise as well, with an easy fold to a 3bet.

lf
Old 11-02-2005, 09:45 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

he's unknown, so you put him on AT or worse after he 3bets an utg raiser out of the sb in a 40 game and leads every street? give me a break, man.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's unknown, so you put him on AT or worse after he 3bets an utg raiser out of the sb in a 40 game and leads every street? give me a break, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this is Paradise or some other small player pool site is it worth the 2BB to learn a little (or maybe a lot) about his preflop standards, or do you just let this go on the turn?

lf
Old 11-02-2005, 09:59 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

there are plenty more hands where you can learn what he's doing without throwing money away. the bigger indication of bad play here is that you're calling the turn and then calling the river unimproved. if you're going to spend 2 bets, you have to raise the turn because at least you have a chance of winning the hand by making him fold. i still think that's a decidedly money-losing play, but at least there's some kind of upside for the same cost as calling down.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are plenty more hands where you can learn what he's doing without throwing money away. the bigger indication of bad play here is that you're calling the turn and then calling the river unimproved. if you're going to spend 2 bets, you have to raise the turn because at least you have a chance of winning the hand by making him fold. i still think that's a decidedly money-losing play, but at least there's some kind of upside for the same cost as calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommended that in my original response, and it would probably be my default line against an unknown player. Maybe I need to change that...

lf
Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM

you also said you were inclined to cap, which makes no sense to me.