Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 06:04 PM

Default John Fox is a great coach but he screwed up today

After Jake Delhomme threw the pick to Lance Shulters the Panthers defense tried to stop Ronnie Brown. Instead of letting them run out the clock to hit a chip shot field goal. The Panther should have let Brown score, if Brown scores they are down seven with 1:40 left and a timeout. I like those odds much better than Olindo Mare missing a 30 yarder.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: John Fox is a great coach but he screwed up today

There are many many games where this stragegy that you point out is exactly correct. Yet, essentially nobody ever does it. The only time I know of a team letting the opposition score a TD was in the GreenBay/Denver SuperBowl. Holmgren said after the game that he told his D to let TDavis score with about 2 minutes left.

The interesting thing is, I believe that put GB down by two scored. Holmgren was right, but being down by 2 makes it seem like hoping for a turnover may be better....

Josh
Old 09-25-2005, 06:11 PM

With a strategic mind like that, it's amazing you're not an NFL head coach already. Do you also like to punt on first down?

Unfortunately, the only stats I can find for kickers splits kicks up in the 20-29 and 30-39 categories. This year Mare is 1/2 in the 20-29 range. For his career, he's 74/80 (92.5%) in the 20-29 range and 58-66 (87.9%) in the 30-39 range. So, let's give Mare a 90% chance of making the kick.

Do you really belive the Panthers have even a 10% chance of marching all the way down the field in less than a minute and a half?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:28 PM

This was done by Mariucci against the Saints a few years back. The Niners still lost.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a strategic mind like that, it's amazing you're not an NFL head coach already. Do you also like to punt on first down?

Unfortunately, the only stats I can find for kickers splits kicks up in the 20-29 and 30-39 categories. This year Mare is 1/2 in the 20-29 range. For his career, he's 74/80 (92.5%) in the 20-29 range and 58-66 (87.9%) in the 30-39 range. So, let's give Mare a 90% chance of making the kick.

Do you really belive the Panthers have even a 10% chance of marching all the way down the field in less than a minute and a half?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure but I think they would have had one or two timeouts. I think them scoring is more likely than Mare missing the field goal.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:07 AM

A similar situation that confuses me even more:

Green Bay is down 17-16 with under two minutes left. One more first down and Tampa Bay will be able to kneel and run it out. Cadillac Williams breaks free and gets the first down and more. LET HIM SCORE ON THIS PLAY! So you are down by eight with 1:10 left, getting the ball. That's infinitely better than being down by one with 1:10 left, and left hoping for a fumble on a kneel-down play.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Green Bay is down 17-16 with under two minutes left. One more first down and Tampa Bay will be able to kneel and run it out. Cadillac Williams breaks free and gets the first down and more. LET HIM SCORE ON THIS PLAY! So you are down by eight with 1:10 left, getting the ball. That's infinitely better than being down by one with 1:10 left, and left hoping for a fumble on a kneel-down play.

[/ QUOTE ]

why wouldn't cadillac just stop at the 1-yard line until someone comes up and tackles him? possibly into the end-zone.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why wouldn't cadillac just stop at the 1-yard line until someone comes up and tackles him? possibly into the end-zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz he is a rookie and will probably too excited about scoring a TD to realize what the best play is.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:30 PM

If the defense can't make the right play, why will the offense?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:22 AM

John Fox is a good coach. Let's save "great" for guys who have won multiple championships; like Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Don Shula, Bill Belichick, etc.