Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: anyone see this? DN lays down KK preflop..

[/ QUOTE ]

He also mentions that the button is a "novice player" - generally speaking, it's only the more experienced players who will tell you the truth about their hand in the hopes that you'll think they're lying and do what they want you to do (Scotty Nguyen won the WSOP doing just that)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a novice player to Daniel Negreanu? I certainly would be, since Ive never played a big tourney. I did the "reverse" on my first live tourney. I stared the guy down when I had a big hand to act like I was weak. You have to play the player not generalities.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What is a novice player to Daniel Negreanu? I certainly would be, since Ive never played a big tourney. I did the "reverse" on my first live tourney. I stared the guy down when I had a big hand to act like I was weak. You have to play the player not generalities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that he has some conception of what a "novice" is in absolute terms; it'd be pretty silly if he wrote articles on the web for a large and varied audience while defining "novice" as "anyone who is worse than Daniel Negreanu."

And when you don't know anything about the player specifically, you can't play the player by definition - you have to play generalities. It is much more likely that when a novice player says "you'd better fold, my hand is unbeatable", he is weak than that he is strong.

If I knew basically nothing about someone, I'd assume that the usual "weak means strong, strong means weak" applies to him until I'm shown otherwise.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terible fold, particularly with the pot odds he was getting. Typical unknown player would go allin with all kinds of junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 PM

no wonder he is in a so-called "slump". his reasonings for folding are senseless and very amatuer-like.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:12 AM

I wouldn't care if the so called "novice" player has Aces. I have Kings!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 AM

That so called "novice" has one hell of a story to tell his friends.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:58 AM

I folded KK once pre-flop

I was on button with KK.

UTG bad player raised 3BB
Cutoff re-raised to 7BB
I re-raised to 16BB
UTG folded
Cutoff Pushed

We had similar stacks and were deep considering the blinds. I knew he would have called with QQ or AK so had to be AA. I folded face up and everybody booed me...he showed AA.

This was a player that I had played with many times otherwise it would have been much more difficult to make that lay down.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I folded KK once pre-flop

I was on button with KK.

UTG bad player raised 3BB
Cutoff re-raised to 7BB
I re-raised to 16BB
UTG folded
Cutoff Pushed

We had similar stacks and were deep considering the blinds. I knew he would have called with QQ or AK so had to be AA. I folded face up and everybody booed me...he showed AA.

This was a player that I had played with many times otherwise it would have been much more difficult to make that lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you some sort of god?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 AM

I just don't see how DN could have gotten a good enough read to narrow the guy's hand range down to AA. If the guy was as confident as DN said he was, he must have been absolutely positive that DN had worse then QQ.

IMO, Daniel couldn't of properly represented the strength of his own hand, or if he did, maybe his opponent just thought he was gesturing. Couldn't he of said something along the lines of "You realize I have kings here", then his opponent would of probably given off some sort of sign of weakness, no?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:06 PM

He felt he was behind, and he still had 100X the big blind left in his stack to make some plays. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks tournaments don't revolve around a hand played in the first 3 levels???

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Is David Chiu and idiot for his laydown? I mean, that was 3 handed!