Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 06:45 PM

Default 10 Week Challenge : Week 6

Hey guys,

You know that Tommy essay where he loses track of a whole year? Yeah, well, that's me. I regularly lose track of days, frequently am off by a week or two, and very occassionally get my months confused. And this whole challenge thing has only made it worse. Tuesdays are now the first day in my week, and Mondays the last. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess since it's all arbitrary anyway, but since I'm really bad at remembering what the date or day is anyway (just a couple days ago I thought it was Spring for like 5 minutes talking with somebody) it does get me confused from time to time. I guess it's the fact that I have no due dates or deadlines anymore to give me some frame of reference. But if that's the price I have to pay, I gladly take the trade.

Day 1:

Tuesdays. I've kind of gotten in the habit of taking Tuesdays off for some reason. I don't want to actually go back and check, but since week one I would bet that I've taken the majority of Tuesdays off from work, as a sort of reward for making it through the previous week. This week, however, I put in a solid 3.5 hours of poker over two mini-sessions and managed to net myself a nice loss of $2,059.25. Now for most people this would probably put a damper on the beginning of their week, and maybe it occassionally would for me as well, but this Tuesday was not like an ordinary Tuesday - this Tuesday my Oklahoma State Cowboys were playing the #4 ranked Syracuse. Since this was the first time this year that I was going to get to watch my favorite men's hooops team, I was pumped and not about to let some minor downswing get in the way of being able to effectively root my Cowboys to victory. This was to be one of their biggest games of the year and their first real test this season. By the end of the game, there were a few crappy stats that would seem to hurt OSU's chances of victory. First, the game was in NYC. Second, Lucas, our star player, scored only 2 FG's and 5 points. And third, Pace had a 20 point game for the 'Cuse. Nonetheless, OSU pulled off a double-digit victory. These boys are sick.

Days 2 thru 4:

After Tuesday's loss, I decided I should go on a bit of a rush. Soooooooo... I did! Two days, 7.25 hours of work, and up $6,059.67. Woo hoo! I kind of had to wake myself up Thursday to get in my hours early on because I was supposed to leave late that night to start the long drive up to Seattle with my roommate and I was taking the first driving shift. I had planned on flying, but somehow he talked me into driving up with him since he was taking all my stuff for me in his car anyway and blah blah blah, guilt-trip guilt-trip, guilt-trip. So I ended up being a good friend and keeping him company, despite my absolute loathing of driving long distances. So all night, all Friday, and part-way into Saturday was spent making the long haul up to good ol' sunny Seattle. I decided to bring my computer system up here since I plan on staying for a few weeks and don't want to take that long off of work. I doubt I'll put too many hours in, since it's the holiday season and what not, but I'm gonna try anyway.

Ho hum hand:

I'm dealt 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the CO. Four players limp to me and I raise. Blinds both call, limpers all call. 7 to the flop for 14 SB's.

Flop comes: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me and I bet. SB folds, BB calls, and two of the limpers call. 5 to the turn for 9.3 BB's.

Turn comes: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me and I bet. BB calls, one of the limpers call.

River comes: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, limper folds. I'm getting 13.3:1 so I call. I'm folding getting less than 10:1.

Days 5 thru 7:

My home for the next couple weeks, minus Christmas and the days surrounding, will be my friend Seth's house. Or rather his Dad's house where he's staying while back from college for his break. I've taken the liberty of setting up my office in his dining room, which he's totally cool with, and went out and bought the hardware needed to put a wireless network up in his house. Seth happens to be one of the guys I've been staking for a while, so we've actually ended up playing at least some poker. I originally staked him for the 3/6 game online, and he's worked up his roll to where he's playing 5/10 now, and has gotten decently good. Not great, but we're working on that. I've been sweating him as he's playing on his laptop at the dining room table while I'm playing my tables, and giving him pointers, correcting his mistakes, and whatever other comments that I think might benefit his game. He's a good kid who's a student athlete and so has no time to work even part-time, and so poker will be a very good thing for him I think. Anyway, Saturday was a 2.5 hour / $1,024 day; Sunday, a 6.5 hour / $2,555.00 day; and Monday was a don't work a single hand day.

So I may not have made my 25 hour goal this week, but given that I traveled for two days and am up staying with a friend, I'm totally happy with my 19.75 hour week. Bills were this week, I'm out of town so I'm eating out a lot, and I took a shopping trip to full stock my friend's Dad's pantry and fridge, so my money spent number will be quite a bit higher than normal. But hey, what're ya gonna do?

Take care guys.

Totals through Week 6:

Hours logged : 142.6, extrapolated 237.67
Money spent : $4,265.00, extrapolated $7,108.33
Money earned : $44,794.24, extrapolated $74,657.07

GoT
Old 12-14-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Re: 10 Week Challenge : Week 6

About the hand. I'm curious as to why you make the cutoff at 10:1. What makes you pick that number? Thanks.

Justin A
Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 PM

In your next report, we better get an update on your "getting a fake ID" progress for the Muck gathering on the 30th.

You always just say "my roommate" in these posts. That's The Dude, right? Why not say that? You hiding his identity? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

if it weren't for the state of Oregon, I'd be able to meet you guys on the 30th. I'll be in LA
Old 12-14-2004, 07:33 PM

What stakes and how many tables are you playing?(sorry if this was mentioned in a previous post)
Old 12-14-2004, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What stakes and how many tables are you playing?(sorry if this was mentioned in a previous post)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's seven tables of 15/30.

Justin A
Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 PM

Cool. Thanks Justin
Old 12-14-2004, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB bets, limper folds. I'm getting 13.3:1 so I call. I'm folding getting less than 10:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really, really don't like folding here. I don't think I would fold getting 2:1.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really, really don't like folding here. I don't think I would fold getting 2:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same since I see ace high making this river bet all the time.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:31 PM

I think you are thinking too much in terms of shorthanded play. With 7 people seeing this flop I think its very likely that at least of of them hit a piece of it. I think the right number is probably somewhere between 2:1 and 10:1....