Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Limping AKo?

I know that when you add people to an equation, anything can happen. That being said, I've been playing hold 'em for a little over a year now and in the last 3 or 4 months I've moved up to mid-stakes poker (if 5/10 is considered mid-stakes). I have one of those annoying 40 hour a week job things, so I only get in about 15-20 hours a week. Now, having said all that (boy this is turning into a long post), I have come across something very bizarre lately. In the 5/10 I'm happy to see I can usually put my opponent on some kind of hand (unlike 2/4 where it's nearly impossible). However, in the last couple of weeks 3 times I've been the victim (is victim too strong?) of an AKo limp. The worst was when I played A8s and was pretty darn sure my A was good with no pre-flop raise.
Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this? The tables I've played recently have had players ranging from good to weak, but not anything like this. Am I missing something? I don't personally like to limp with AA or KK, but I can see the logic for those that do, but limping with AK? I don't get it. Sorry if this post is a complete waste of time, but I'm just really confused and like I said it's happened a number of times recently which adds to my confusion.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Limping AKo?

"I have one of those annoying 40 hour a week job things"

Don't you just hate that?

As for the limping A-Ks, I am starting to see this more often as well. Also with A-A and K-K. Still not common, but seeing it more. And sometimes they don't even reraise when it's raised behind them.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:26 PM

Depending on the table, and your playing style I think limping with AKs can be good, conversly i hate limping with AKo.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hate limping with AKo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:24 PM

In certain games I think limping AK off would be o.k.

If the game was fairly tough and people were playing tight, you will get action from hands that would have folded to an UTG raise. If there are a few isolation-happy players behind you, then I think sometimes limping with this hand would be profitable. Obviously none of this would apply in a 5-10 game though.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:45 AM

Clarkmeister posted a hand a while back where he limped in with AKo to mix up his play. I don't remember the specifics (and I can't find the post), but he might have even limp/reraised. I think it was in a 40/80 game against some tougher, thinking opponents.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:42 AM

i think a limp with AK can be a good play especially in a tight game. the one thing you can't have is a 5 or 6 way pot after you limp because then you will have trouble figuring out where you are in the hand and will be very vulterable to 2 pair.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:23 AM

I've been burned too many times playing AK too aggressively and left holding my nuts while watching someone else take the pot with a mid-pair. Depending on the game, I prefer to limp in until I see the flop before I do anything. Seems to work better for me.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:21 PM

Yikes...
Old 11-13-2004, 03:28 PM

Sorry, that wasn't helpfull-
If you are having troubel with AKo postflop then analyzing and adjusting your preflop play won't help. Raising with AKo should be SOP in the vast majority of games, if you are losing with it there is probably something seriouusly wrong with the way you handle postflop situations. Not raising preflop shouldn't be the answer.