Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-17-2005, 12:43 PM

Default A standard push?

Villian has been giving the hero a really hard time. I've been TAG and continuation bet the flops frequently. He has called every single one of the continuation bets (5 or 6 total hands) and bet out on on the turn after I checked (I usually folded). Villian is loose-passive.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($130.25)
Button ($37.15)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($98.50)</font>
BB ($43.05)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($191.95)</font>
MP ($20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $5, CO folds.

Flop: ($14) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, UTG calls $12.

Turn: ($38) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $80.5</font>

Thoughts?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: A standard push?

sometimes you have to do this with rags just to let people know they can't push you around.... just prey for a fold....
Old 12-17-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian has been giving the hero a really hard time. I've been TAG and continuation bet the flops frequently. He has called every single one of the continuation bets (5 or 6 total hands) and bet out on on the turn after I checked (I usually folded). Villian is loose-passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have described villain as loose-passive. You have a mouse betting into you on the turn. Your push looks like a frustration push and your trying to blow him of a hand. This is chip-spewing.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:14 PM

A turn raise to 40 or so would appear a lot more like a strong hand. Pushing looks like you want him to fold. Raise it to 40 or 50. Of course, if he fires back at you you might have to call given your 3, A, and K outs (which may or may not be good)

The fact that you basically have to be ready to commit your whole stack here in order to win a pot about half its size, and the fact that you have ace high after the turn with only a gutshot straight draw and overcards, these don't bode well... I'd find a better spot to go after the villain.