Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:42 PM

Default A question for Steve Hudak

Steve,

What's up man. We have actually never met, but we happened to date the same girl at umd, and I know Danny. Anyways a friend of mine Jon Hubbell, who I think knows you as well and I were debating a hand that you played.-

Doug Lee has the button in seat 7, Pham raises under the gun to $16,000, Hudak reraises to $46,000, and Pham calls. The flop comes 7c-7h-5d, Pham checks, Hudak bets $50,000, and Pham thinks for a minute or two before saying, "I'm all in." The action is now back to Hudak, who would be calling with all of his chips. But Hudak folds, and Pham picks up a $202,000 pot.

Now he seems to think that you had a big ace and made a read that Pham had a pair on the flop and decided to lay it down.

Now my thinking here is that if you read him for a piar preflop wouldn't you just flat call the preflop bet and then make a decision on the flop? I think your reraise before the flop indicates big pair or big ace, and your play on the flop indicates big ace, but if you had a big ace wouldn't the pot odds dictate a call? I thought it would be a tough laydown if you had anything better then AQ.

If I had to guess I would say you maybe had KQ. I mean this a total random guess because I don't know what the blinds and antes are, but that was my thought.

I'm very curious to hear your thought process on this hand.

Thanks man,

Robert
Old 11-24-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: A question for Steve Hudak

what does "read him for a pair preflop" mean?

is it possible that the range that pham open-raises with is different than the range with which he calls a reraise with and check-raises all in on a 7-high flop?

you go back to square one also.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:20 PM

I had AK. Preflop he could have a very large range. On the flop I had 95k and bet 50k into a pot of over 90k. I'm left with 45k and after he check raises all in my thinking was it was less than 5% for him to have worse than a pair (and probably much less).

After the hand he told someone at the table he made a mistake because he had 55 for a fullhouse and thought I would auto call. He thinks if he would have called the flop I would stab at it again on the turn or call the river.

He could easily have been lying but thats what he said for what thats worth.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:28 PM

wait, you were getting over 5-1 on your money here? what are you thinking?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait, you were getting over 5-1 on your money here? what are you thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pure game theory says to make the call, right? I struggle with this constantly but some common sense has to be thrown into the mix when making this kinda decision....just a doknkey luckbox in training [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 11:15 PM

Yes. I already said what I was thinking.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:15 AM

i thought my question would be clear but i guess it's not. let me rephrase. what would you do if he went all in and then accidentally exposed his two jacks?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the reply Steve.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 AM

If it was that simple I would call as I would expect to gain 19,800 chips in EV by making the call.

In the real-life situation that occured if you do an EV analysis giving my opponent a reasonable hand range based on his actions then things change alot. I suggest you do that and keep in mind that it is the final table of a tournament.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:24 PM

you said: "there is a less than 5% chance he has worse than a pair." i said: "based on that how can you fold?" you said: "i already said what i was thinking."

so i guess now you are saying that you really thought there was a good enough chance that he had 7x, 55, AA, KK (this should have been the answer to my original question). fair enough i guess, but these hands seem so unlikely to me i have trouble seeing how a fold could be correct.

i mean, admittedly i've never played with kido but it sounds like he is a volatile, erratic player. he moved in with JT when he easily could have folded after hachem had committed half of his chips. based on this it would seem that there is a reasonable chance that he can tell for whatever reason that you don't like your hand and is taking a shot with a hand like AJ or KQ.