Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 12:39 PM

Default should i have gone for overcalls?

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, Paula calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds.

River: (9 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

well?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: should i have gone for overcalls?

I think there's a good possibility you win more bets that way. Also if you don't raise there, someone with a weak flush might pop it up behind you giving you the opportunity to reraise when it comes back around.

edit: Also, there's a good chance I probably woulda fired at that pot on the flop.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:18 PM

why do you like betting on the flop?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:28 PM

On the river I much prefer a call, as it is likely at least one of your opponents behind you has a straight that they'll call with.

On the flop I would bet this hand. I always bet the nut low draw unless I think someone else will bet it for me. I'm not sure if that is correct, but to me that seems to be the best play.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you like betting on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the nut low with any low card that comes off, and some decent backdoor draws to a possible high. Your pot equity is huge here and with the preflop raiser on the button a bet here may lead to a lot of callers between you and the button with the possibility of the button throwing a raise in which creates a bigger pot that you have a good chance of taking a nice chunk of.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:55 PM

Johnny - Hard to tell but I think you might have done about as well as you could have done.

You might have raised before the flop, but I think that would have worked out about the same. If you raise before the flop you're forced to bet the flop yourself and might then lose almost everybody on the second betting round. And you don't get the raise on the river

I would have bet the flop, but since Button bet for you, maybe checking worked out better for you as it turned out. However, note that if Button doesn't bet, you lose a bet from everybody on this round.

If you check-raise on the flop, you might lose everybody behind you except another nut low and you have no high at this point.

SB bets for you on the turn. If you raise on the turn, you might lose everybody behind you. (As it was, you only lost Button). Also, if you raise on the turn, you might not get any action or even a call from SB on the river.

I like your raise on the river. If you don't raise on the river, MTG+1 and /or MP3 might call - but they might call your raise too, and they might fold anyway, even without your raise, so that it's hard to say what's best. At least you got an extra big bet out of SB.

Since you ended up with nut-nut, things might have worked out a bit better for you if you raised earlier, but maybe not - and you weren't assured of nut-nut earlier. Had the cards turned out a bit differently, you would have done more poorly by raising earlier.

All in all, I think you played the hand solidly and well.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 01-21-2005, 06:46 PM

You played it fine. I’d have bet the flop, tho.

If you bet and two opponents call, for example, then you are risking 1 bet to win 1 bet for low in fresh money, whereas you will make a low on the next card 26 out of 45 cards. So you’re bet is usually EV+ on its own. Add in some times that others fold, and that your backdoor draws come in for high and its probably worth betting.