Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 PM

Default AA double suited that misses

Dealt to hero A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 limpers, i raise the pot, only the limpers call so i have position.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

hero??

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero??

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

hero??

thank you
Old 12-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: AA double suited that misses

assuming low stakes I pot/half pot the flop and fold to further resistance on following streets since. Any player with a brain will check-call every street if they hit that flop big and you'll be firing off your whole stack in vain if you bet past the flop.

some might check the flop and pot the turn, but it leaves you with a tough turn decision if they bet and a bad taste in your mouth when you fold it

you're not getting called from much that's less than 66xx or 2xxx in a three handed pot so you're smart to just make a follow up bet on the flop and test the waters but don't fall in love with the hand. This situation is why I love low stakes omaha, a bet on the flop will give you a lot of information, way more than a flop bet/call will give you in hold em

plus the pot has been built so big that chances are no one is going to make a move at the pot with a worse hand unless they're playing like an absolute donkey

my .02 c, id like to see what others say
Old 12-16-2005, 08:47 PM

We need more info to give you any suggestions. What actions were taken by each player on each street? What were the stack sizes? Any reads on the play of these two opponents?

If checked to on the flop I would certainly bet...if the first guy bets the pot and the next raises the pot I would certainly fold.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:54 PM

Easy bet on this safe-looking flop. I don't think it matters much if it's 1/2 pot, 3/4 pot or full pot.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 PM

I think this is a potbet on flop and hope to take it down. If not this is a c/f situation unless and A comes. The turn flush card makes things look nicer but there is a good chance ur dead to an A. I like trying to keep the pot small in these situations. If you are against a tricky-smart LAG I (1) dont like raising with this PF and (2) check behind. I dont like being the first raiser, unless its to steal the button with this kind of hand because you build pots with hands that dont do too well after flop. On to flop play. If smart-LAG is first to act after you, he might have to fold a non-2 hand because he isnt closing action with another player behind. A lot of time though, personally, when something like this happens i like to re (1/2-3/4) pot the initial raiser knowing that they cant call here. Or calling and then 1/2-3/4 potting on turn. I think that if you're called on this flop its time to shutdown (especially against non-tricky people). People tend to play PLO pretty straight up. Also, is this a full ring game or 6-handed?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:56 PM

ok it was a full (8-man) ring game. It was checked to me on the flop, i bet 1/2 pot. 1st limper folded, 2nd raised pot. This was a low-stakes omaha game and from playing so far it seemed like he was playing omaha with almost a hold-em strategy (i.e. overvaluing hands). Stack sizes: i had about 1/3 more than him, he had about the buy in.
I would normally fold to the pot raise as e was representing the 2 or 66, but it was screaming weakness, so i flat called, maybe a mistake there, although with no real draws out there, if i had it so far then another card shouldnt be horrible, and if i was beat then i could get away on the next street.

After the turn, he bets 1/2 the pot, and with my redraw and still thinking my aces had it i put him all in, he called.. nevertheless i was right, he had A,j,j,6 with no real draws.

im just getting back to omaha after focusing on NL tourneys and sngs, so im a bit rusty to say the least. Im sure that was filled with mistakes and got lucky that i was against a donkey, so please critique everything!!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are against a tricky-smart LAG I (1) dont like raising with this PF and (2) check behind. I dont like being the first raiser, unless its to steal the button with this kind of hand because you build pots with hands that dont do too well after flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really don't like to raise in position against a loose player with aces double-suited? If the LAG player is so tricky that he scares you off this hand, just leave the table.

Probably bet the flop, OP gave no information whatsoever but I could understand checking behind here as well.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok it was a full (8-man) ring game. It was checked to me on the flop, i bet 1/2 pot. 1st limper folded, 2nd raised pot. This was a low-stakes omaha game and from playing so far it seemed like he was playing omaha with almost a hold-em strategy (i.e. overvaluing hands). Stack sizes: i had about 1/3 more than him, he had about the buy in.
I would normally fold to the pot raise as e was representing the 2 or 66, but it was screaming weakness, so i flat called, maybe a mistake there, although with no real draws out there, if i had it so far then another card shouldnt be horrible, and if i was beat then i could get away on the next street.

After the turn, he bets 1/2 the pot, and with my redraw and still thinking my aces had it i put him all in, he called.. nevertheless i was right, he had A,j,j,6 with no real draws.

im just getting back to omaha after focusing on NL tourneys and sngs, so im a bit rusty to say the least. Im sure that was filled with mistakes and got lucky that i was against a donkey, so please critique everything!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you played the hand well, given your reads.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:09 AM

Against one player only who is a known LAG I am not only never folding, but am setting us in on the flop. If he has the 2 or 66 then good for him but I can't be drawing dead. This is a typical LAG play made against tight players trying to take the pot away from them when they have indicated AA by the preflop action. Worse boards are with two nearby straight cards where someone with 4 nearby straight cards might have hit 2 pair or 1 pair and a draw of some kind.

One of the main ways AA wins when it doesn't hit a set or a straight/flush is by making aces up with the board paired low. And in that case if he only has the other pair on the board he is already counterfeited. Push and pray on the flop and don't let him pick up a draw on the turn for cheap. And if the pot is so big preflop that he can bet himself allin when first to act and again it will be headsup, then I am calling allin. These kind of players look to play big pots against AA and crack it and also steal from it. Make them show you a hand except on a dangerous board which this wasn't.

You aren't always going to win by playing this way, but if you pick your spots and opponents you will be ahead long term for it. However playing AA this aggressively postflop can be high variance. But playing passively, even though inducing bluffs when you read them right, only allows them to control the hand and pick up draws and higher board sets that they might have folded versus more aggressive flop action.

Play like a sissy with these players and you'll get treated like a sissy even more in the future.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:08 AM

I pot every street in this hand at low limits.
At higher limits I half-2/3 pot bet the flop and depending what the other players are doing when the turn arrives I c/c, c/f or pot it again.