Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-15-2005, 07:32 PM

Default When 4 bet/call on a paired board ...

What do you think when this happens?

I bought in with a 40BB short stack here just for the hell of it. This is my 2nd trip around the blinds.

UTG bought in for $10 and has only played 4 hands folding two flops.

MP1 bought in for $10 a few hands before I came in. Calls a lot of pre-flop raises and then folds if he misses.

SB bought in for $40 just 4 hands ago. Has seen some flops but no rivers.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">MP1 ($12.55)</font>
MP2 ($19.50)
CO ($58.60)
Button ($27.60)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($37)</font>
BB ($49.50)
UTG ($9)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($34.05)</font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50, MP1 calls $1.50, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls $1.50, BB folds.

At the time I was thinking that I wanted to see how many were interested in the flop before I comitted anything significant to this pot.

Turn: ($9.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.5</font>, Hero ...

I was totally confused about what was going on. I've never seen this much interest in a paired board on a real money table.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: When 4 bet/call on a paired board ...

My guess is:

Case 5 for UTG, SB is slow-rolling 7-7 and MP1 took a card off with straight flush draw or an overpair.

People do crazy stuff at these stakes. There is one player in the small stakes games I have been playing recently that regularly draws to straights and flushes on paired boards, especially when the bets are small. The best part about this player is that he seems to be rich and always comes back for more.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:37 PM

I think you should have raised / folded to a reraise on this flop. You want to find out where you are at before it gets expensive.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Case 5 for UTG, SB is slow-rolling 7-7 and MP1 took a card off with straight flush draw or an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you like looking for those monsters huh? It's certainly quite possible that the other three players have it completely boardlocked, but it is much more likely that you are up against another five (or 77, or both), a couple of overpairs, and a draw, or some combination of the three. I'd raise it up here a bit, fold to a push from most players, and block the river if it got HU. Unless my opponents are total crap, getting two callers would have me check-folding to all but the tiniest of bets on the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, you like looking for those monsters huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I was being a bit facetious.

Your line/reasoning on the turn is pretty much exactly what I would be thinking. Bumping it up to 7 or so should do the trick.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is usually going to be the correct read. But let's also look at how the player with 77 is playing his hand. Slowplaying on the flop in an unraised pot is OK because the value of bets collected from other players is really worth more than the pot at that point. And although the OP's question is about his turn move and he doesn't give the actual turn action, the player with 77 now must pounce. If he gives 3 other players, who might have overpairs to make a better full or draws to a straight flush, a cheaper turn here, then he is asking to not make much if anything on the river while giving himself a chance to get broke.

As to Hero's question about the turn, I would fold with 3 other players having shown interest in that pot, even if it were raised and thus bigger.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:45 PM

I think you should bump this up on the flop. That way you can find out where you are (basically that you are getting beaten). On the turn there is $12 in pot and only costs u 1.5. I know that you're not closing action which is a problem but you're getting 8:1 on your money. I think that if you call and SB also calls (which i think he would bump it here with 77) you might be able to get a showdown for very cheap (maybe even free).
Old 12-17-2005, 03:38 AM

OK, I agree that I should have raised on the flop. This is what I normally would do but I was multi-tabling and made a poor rushed decision.

As it was, I followed zizazziza's line of thought and simply called and was prepared to stay in as long as it stayed cheap. Not the best play I know, but I was willing to pay a couple bucks to find out what was going on, my pot odds were decent and the implied odds of a river A were about right (assuming SB has 77 and continues to slow play).

My basic thinking was that I was either a huge favourite or a huge dog. If they really are poor players the play will probably stay cheap and it's hard to imagine a big bluff coming.

MP1 and SB called. River was T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Check, ckeck to me. Pot is about $15.

Now what?

Does anyone think they have the best hand here considering the stakes? How often are you up against a case 5 in the SB and two minimum buy-in fish who think this is hold'em?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:53 AM

With that many players in a pot, even though you know one of them must be drawing to a flush/overpair, you are virtually never going to be ahead. You can't beat 77 or 75. And this is a small pot so you don't have diddly for equity to protect. Check and Fold. Against one player only you could check/call to the river, but even then you usually aren't going to like it between the times you are beat and the times someone else with only a 5 hits his kicker and you don't know it.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With that many players in a pot, even though you know one of them must be drawing to a flush/overpair, you are virtually never going to be ahead. You can't beat 77 or 75.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have AAK5 for fives full of kings. I can beat 75.