Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Battle of Blinds hands make me their bitch

Party Poker NL400 5 handed. I recently got to the table and have no read on the villian, but i struggle w/ battle of the blind hands.

Villian (~200) in the sb calls. Hero (~500) raises 12 w/ AQ, Villian calls. Flop: A 3 3 Villian checks, Hero bets 20, villian raises to 60, Hero calls. The turn is irrelavent, X. Villian pushes...hero??
Old 06-07-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Battle of Blinds hands make me their bitch

Is it A33 rainbow?

Either way, I call here.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way, I call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally without reads I might fold here, but since he pushed he is acting like he doesn't want you to call, which usually means he's got a bad kicker, a pocket pair or is drawing, so I call here too. If he pushed with a 3 and ran the risk of running off his only customer, then more power to him and just make a note. The only hand you really don't want to see is AK, which is something to consider.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Either way, I call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally without reads I might fold here, but since he pushed he is acting like he doesn't want you to call, which usually means he's got a bad kicker, a pocket pair or is drawing, so I call here too. If he pushed with a 3 and ran the risk of running off his only customer, then more power to him and just make a note. The only hand you really don't want to see is AK, which is something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

but people play monsters like this all of the time. i couldn't put him on anything...i figured he'd raise with AK p/f, and he wouldn't play A3 that fast. but i also thought he may have just called my raise to show that i can't just steal his blinds...so he could just have any 2 here (ie- K3, Q3, 34). when he raised me on the flop i didn't think he had an ace b/c why would he c/r me? so i called to see what he'd do on the turn. when he pushed my immediate instincts (which seemingly are correct most of the time) told me to fold. but in the 25 seconds i had to think, i rationalized that he was either overplaying an ace, or making a play on me. i called. he had 23 of spades. i posted the hand b/c i struggle with figuring out my opponents' thinking in battle of the blinds situations. i feel like a lot of times people in the sb call raises without powerful hands for image purposes, and many of them are flop junkies. anyways, i guess i couldn't have gotten away from this hand.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:44 PM

he knows exactly what you have and is not scared of it. he also knows you really like your hand because of the flop action, so his bet is one he hopes to get called.

fold.

fim
Old 06-07-2005, 04:05 PM

If his push were on the turn WITHOUT having raised the flop, I think the situation would have been different. A turn push means weakness more than likely but the flop play - I'd probably try and lay it down here. Your hand was extremely transparent from the combination of your preflop raise and your bet on the flop.

Blackjack
Old 06-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Your hand was extremely transparent from the combination of your preflop raise and your bet on the flop.

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but wouldn't that increase his incentive to try to represent a 3? Isn't this exactly how you'd bluff at having the 3? i feel like i'd play it the exact same way.