Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 02:28 PM

Default did I push incorrectly?

Commerce NL$400 buy-in, 5-10 blinds.

I'm on button w/ 89 hearts. Young, pretty aggressive guy raises to 40 preflop from MP. He's done this w/ a variety of hands including big pairs and 79s. I put him on anything but for some reason I feel like its a pair over jacks or AK. Bad player on cutoff calls as well. PFR has us both covered and I got the bad player covered. I got ~900.

Flop is T98r. PFR checks, bad player checks, I bet 100. I suspect the whole table views me as a semi-maniacal player who can shift gears well. I usually show down the goods but play a lot of hands preflop. This isn't my normal style but I was experimenting that night for some reason. Anyhow, back to the hand.

So I bet 100 and PFR calls and bad player immediately moves in for ~270-300 total. I put him on a pretty decent hand such as pair + straight draw or AJ. Everything in me says I got him beat and that the PFR has AT or JJ. I think if he has a good hand here that hit the flop hard he'll lead out. He does get tricky sometimes but w/ us two as his opponents I'm certain he'll lead and hope us 'calling stations' will call him or raise him.

Anyhow, I push.

Comments?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: did I push incorrectly?

You can lose alot of money with two pair.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying fold?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:11 PM

i think the only hand you have beat after this action is JJ.

plus you have the solid PFR opting to check-call this flop and would still have him to contend with. unless he has trash like KQ or AQ.

too often i see people go broke with bottom two in a multiway raised pot on a co-ordinated board.

i think this is one of the weaker folds i make.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:18 PM

Your either in real bad shape or your hanging on by threads. It's very early, your chips position is fine, and you only have
140 invested. I opt for a fold. Secondly, you have no idea
what the player behind you is going to do which points further to a fold. However if I do opt to play the hand I
push in an effort to get him out.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 05-16-2005, 03:21 PM

Woops, I thought this was a tourney. But my analysis of the hand is still the same. Except you can always rebuy if you lose.

Bruce
Old 05-16-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

The players with the huge stacks are the ones that make the big lay downs.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

The players with the huge stacks are the ones that make the big lay downs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this last statement. However, everything in me says I got them both beat. If PFR has a stong hand such as a set, why would he check and risk giving a free card? It's not like I was the PFR and he's expecting me to bet or the bad player to bet, he would bet 10 out of 10 times if he has a hand, esp on this coordinated flop. Unless of course he has the nuts, then I'm pretty screwed. I thought the move by bad player suggested he sensed weakness and tried to take the pot down against me HU. He probably put me on pair + straight draw and was hoping his TPTK or pair + straight draw would take it down. I suspected he sensed weakness from flat call by PFR as did I and thought I thought the same thing and made the move. I guess it's calculated risk. PFR played the hand very strangely and the only thing I can put him on where he's ahead of me on flop is a straight or set and I suspect he's raising with all of these hands unless its the nuts.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on a pretty decent hand such as pair + straight draw or AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a substantial favorite against AJ, but would he really push here with just an open ender? I guess he's a bad player, like you said. However, if he has a pair and a straight draw, you're a big dog.

[ QUOTE ]
Everything in me says I got him beat

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this thinking, given the previous comment.

[ QUOTE ]
and that the PFR has AT or JJ. I think if he has a good hand here that hit the flop hard he'll lead out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't JJ hit this flop pretty damn hard? PFR is only folding JJ if there is a high probability that you'd be making this same play with a set or the straight, I think. Hard to put you on an overpair, and he's got good odds to catch up against two pair hands.

Honestly, I don't think I like this line too much, since there are too many hands that have you in bad shape, even though you have a good draw.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Default OOoPs

Oops. I misread the hand, thought you had bottom pair with an open ender.