Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: EP Raises scaring people off at 0.02/0.04 limits

You should be happy to win a small pot rather than lose a big one. Cutting down the field is important but make sure you are raising all hands UTG which should be raised (AA-TT, AK, AQ, AJs). If you get everyone to fold with TT then more power to you. I can't do that playing 6/12
Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be happy to win a small pot rather than lose a big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that statement in principle, but........

The fact that I hold AA before the flop means that I am a BIG favourite to win? I WANT a BIG pot.

My actual chances of winning the hand at the point (before the flop) aren't going to change one bit, no matter who bets or raises, etc. I know in reality the actual chance of winning gets better with less players- what I am trying to say is that I am still a big favourite to win AT THAT POINT.

Surely you raise AA to gain value? You are not raising it to thin the field? You are hoping you get called, raised, re-raised- the more the better?

Consequently, IF I thought by raising I would get 2 callers V me just calling and getting 5 callers- would I not be better doing that?

I just want to make sure my understanding of the principles is sound, rather than the exact specifics of the hole cards, no. of callers, etc.

Many thanks,
Ian
Old 12-16-2005, 08:37 AM

Ideally you want a large pot with few players. Yes you must always be favourite pre-flop with AA, but that edge decreases with the number of opponents - particularly if they will all go to showdown.

Another point to consider, which is possibly less relevant at 0.02/0.04, but important as players get stronger, is what hands would call/reraise a raise (e.g. KK-TT, AK-AQs/o), i.e. the hands against which you are strong favourite. Allowing limpers in (and BB for free) increases the range of hands you may be up against. This means that you won't know where you are with many flops. So don't be surprised to lose on occasion to raggedy 2-pair or runner-runner straights and flushes.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But that aphorism makes a ton of simplifying assumptions that simply don't apply to the question at hand. You're not guaranteed to win the small pot if you raise with AA UTG, and you're not guaranteed to lose a big pot if you limp. Since your probability of either is less than one, it matters how likely you are to win the small pot or lose the big one, and it matters how small the small pot and how big the big pot are.

In a typical low-stakes game, by raising, you have a slightly improved chance of winning (because occasionally one of your opponents might fold a marginal hand that would draw out on you). When you win, you win substantially more. Win you lose, you also lose more, but you're putting in one extra bet to raise and the field may be putting in four or five.

So it's almost always correct to raise AA in a small-stakes game, but it has nothing to do with "winning a small pot." You won't increase your chances of winning that much because so many opponents will cold call with junk and draw out on you. But when you win you'll win more, and you'll win more than your fair share. (Aces make an overpair, aces up, sets, and full houses, and when they do they get paid off by top pair, lower two pair, trips, straights, flushes, and even the occasional underboat.)

When you have an equity advantage, put more money in the pot. That's all there is to low-limit poker.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am really not a fan of statements that oversimplify, and obsure the true and delicate nuances of poker. They are dangerous, and often unimportant to the overall strategy of a truely good player.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Move up where they will respect your raises. Oh wait they do!!!

hehe, find a fishy table or raise more hands and bully these wimps into giving you their "blinds that arn't worth fighting over".
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 AM

I would say if you are playing 0.02/0.04 and most people usually fold to a raise, your best plan is to switch to another 0.02/0.04 table.