Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: What is your return for 2005?

10%, my first year of investing, dont trade, never sold a stock yet.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
12.6%. Doesn't sound like much but I am actually okay with it. I goofed off for about six months because 2004 was such a huge year for me. I'm back to working hard, and am pretty confident I've found enough ideas to ensure my returns rebound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tomorrow my YTD should over 15%. One of my holdings just issued their latest 10Q, which confirms in very clear terms the hidden value I thought it had. I'm expecting it to pop 20% or more.

And if it doesn't, I'm buyin more baby!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my holdings just issued their latest 10Q, which confirms in very clear terms the hidden value I thought it had. I'm expecting it to pop 20% or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this company have a name?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:24 AM

205%

Woohoo. Thank-you Netflix. Let's go Audible. I pulled out some money today from my trading account for the last time this year. I will not touch it now until the end of next year, and have $101,500 CAD dollars riding in it. I expect to make at least 40% by this time next year. If I am fortunate, it will be another two bagger.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my holdings just issued their latest 10Q, which confirms in very clear terms the hidden value I thought it had. I'm expecting it to pop 20% or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this company have a name?

[/ QUOTE ]

REMC. It's actually only up a couple of cents today (I was able to buy some more at $1.20). The 10Q made it clear that future distributions will be at the top of the company's previous range ($1.10-$1.60). Either no-one is reading it's 10Q, or the market is concerned about the unclear time-line to more distributions (could be 2007, but I think early-mid 2006). From my perspective, the time line and payouts were unclear before, now only the time line is, so shouldn't it trade much closer to the payout value?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 AM

Cat,

I didn't read the 10Q, but whats the odds that they are overstating the value of their remaining assets to be liquidated?

If its taking over a year to liquidate, there has to be a possibility, and the market may be pricing that in.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
REMC. It's actually only up a couple of cents today (I was able to buy some more at $1.20). The 10Q made it clear that future distributions will be at the top of the company's previous range ($1.10-$1.60). Either no-one is reading it's 10Q, or the market is concerned about the unclear time-line to more distributions (could be 2007, but I think early-mid 2006). From my perspective, the time line and payouts were unclear before, now only the time line is, so shouldn't it trade much closer to the payout value?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't researched anything else regarding this stock, but that's one ugly chart...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cat,

I didn't read the 10Q, but whats the odds that they are overstating the value of their remaining assets to be liquidated?

If its taking over a year to liquidate, there has to be a possibility, and the market may be pricing that in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically the risk is low. Management doesn't have the same incentives as they do in an operating company. They will be leaving and doesn't want to have shareholder suits hanging over them while looking for their next job. Often they'll be very conservative with their estimates to cover their butts.

But these are very odd situations. Most of the participants who make up "the market" in this case don't have much experience with liquidations, so I believe they tend to over estimate the risks. That's not saying that occasionally liquidations take big hits from unforseen problems. GTA is an excellent example of one that's continually missed their liquidation estimates. In that case there were huge red flags about the competence and honesty of management.

And one of the biggest risks is timing. Management can be so conservative that they'll sit on cash instead of paying it out, until all contingent liabilities are settled, even if their cash covers liabilities several times over. Sometimes you need a large shareholder to shake their tree. If REMC ends up taking until 2007 to pay out their distributions, the annualized return will be disappointing.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't researched anything else regarding this stock, but that's one ugly chart...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great example why charts don't tell you a whole lot.

[ QUOTE ]

In September 2005, 10 million shares of Powerwave stock were issued to the shareholders’ of record on September 13, 2005 of REMEC stock. The cash distribution is expected to occur in several distributions; with the first cash distribution being paid on October 4, 2005 at a rate of $1.35 per share. Subsequent cash distributions are pending REMEC’s Board of Directors review of the Company’s remaining obligations.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

effective May 20, 2005, each share of its existing common stock converted into a fractional share of common stock, which entitled the shareholder to voting rights and participation in earnings of the Company, and one share of redemption stock, which was automatically redeemed by the Company. As a result of the reclassification and redemption, each holder of one share of REMEC’s existing common stock at the close of trading on the Nasdaq National Market on May 20, 2005 was entitled to receive 0.446 of a new share of common stock (plus $2.80 per share in cash for the redemption share)

[/ QUOTE ]

The company has dividended hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Powerwave stock and cash to shareholders this year, causing it's retained value to decline tremendously. But if you had bought at the right times, those dividends meant you would have done well.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:19 PM

46% so far but i have only 1 US Company. The biggest winners was in korea asia easteurope europe and germany Hyundai at sample 110% in 7 month