Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 02:15 AM

Default HU with JJ

This is a situation I find my self in that I think I misplay frequently. I don't have the hand history for this particular hand, but it happened at a nanolimit table. No read on villain.

Hero is UTG+2 with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (9 handed)
1 fold, UTG+1 raises, Hero 3-bets, 6 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop (7.5 SB Heads up)
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets, Hero?

I'm afraid of folding the best hand, calling down the the river with second best, and betting into an AJ/AT who's afraid of being outkicked and calling to showdown. I can't imagine that calling is correct, but is the pot big enough to justify putting out a feeler raise and reevaluating the turn?

Is my 3-bet preflop from EP correct?
When and why is folding correct with an overcard out and few opponents?
What's my line in this situation?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: HU with JJ

Rather than spoonfeed you the right answer, I'm going to make you work it out for yourself. Hopefully you won't mind too much.

1. What range of hands do you put villain on when he raises preflop?
2. What portion of those hands are you ahead of with your JJ?
3. What range of hands do you now think villain has when he just calls your raise instead of capping (or folding, I suppose)?
4. What fraction of those hands are you beating on that flop?
5. What fraction of those hands are you beating given that he's enthusiastic enough about his hand to bet?
6. What are your odds on drawing out?
7. What are the pot odds on drawing down?
8. How do the combined odds of drawing out plus the chance you're ahead compare with the pot odds of calling down?
9. Are there any other factors you should consider? How much are they worth in terms of EV?

Yeah, it's not what you're looking for, but you have to be able to do this sort of analysis at the table in real time if you're going to be a successful limit player. Hopefully you don't mind too much, and don't hesitate to get the answers to any of those questions wrong. That's where the learning comes.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:23 AM

Thanks Wookie - I always appreciate an answer like that. I thought, though, that there might be some players saying that a raise is good here given the pot size and the number of maniacs you'll find at the nanolimits (again, no read on villain). On second thought, even a LAG isn't calling a reraise PF and opening with TT-55 UI with an ace out.

Thanks for taking the time to answer instead of locking a moronic post [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2005, 05:39 AM

I'll just note that if villain was a maniac, you'd have a read on him. (Unless this is your 3rd or 4th hand at the table.) But they are really hard to miss.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for taking the time to answer instead of locking a moronic post [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't lock strategy posts just because they're basic. This is a forum for the basics. I only lock stuff that belongs in the NC thread.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:32 PM

Well I appreciate the thorough reply anyway.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM

I actually would like to see your explicit answers to all of those questions. Making sure you have all that right is a great exercise, and a lot of people would benefit from reading it.