Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Nate\'s rules for chopping

[ QUOTE ]

5. Always chop time pots, regardless of rules #1-#4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please bear with me as I am headed to the B&M for the second time ever and playing a time-charged game for the 1st time. I understand why you would chop a time pot, but not the actual mechanics of a timepot.

I am not quite sure who exactly pays the timepot. Just players who have won largish pots during the time period (e.g. over xBB) or is it something different. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6. always chop if the rake is high in relation to the stakes. there's no reason to chop in a 2/4 game with a 4 dollar drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, call me slow here, but did you miss a "not" in there, as in "there's no reason not to chop in a 2/4 game with a 4 dollar drop"?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's correct. apparently i really suck at typing.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:49 AM

It costs me some chips to learn that the guy next to me said he didn't chop only because he had a large pocket pair at the time, and after that was chopping left and right. What a cock.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6. always chop if the rake is high in relation to the stakes. there's no reason to chop in a 2/4 game with a 4 dollar drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, call me slow here, but did you miss a "not" in there, as in "there's no reason not to chop in a 2/4 game with a 4 dollar drop"?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's correct. apparently i really suck at typing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I'm just kinda bein' a nit tonight. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 01:40 PM

print this out. multiple copies. next time someone asks you if you chop hand them one. make sure you have "Nate's rules for chopping" at the top.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Please bear with me as I am headed to the B&M for the second time ever and playing a time-charged game for the 1st time. I understand why you would chop a time pot, but not the actual mechanics of a timepot.

I am not quite sure who exactly pays the timepot. Just players who have won largish pots during the time period (e.g. over xBB) or is it something different. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two ways time is collected in a time charge game. In some, the time is collected individually from each player at every time interval and money is never taken from any pot. The other way is to have a "time pot" in which the time charge for the entire table is taken out of one pot every time interval rather than directly from the players.

The theory behind the time pot is that it speeds up the game because play is never stopped while the dealer requests time and makes change with all of the players. This works well in loose or wild games, but is actually counterproductive when it results in 3-5 consecutive hands being chopped because nobody wants to play in the time pot.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:30 PM

Eh. That's too much. I usually go with the following in my effort to keep the people around me in a good mood and hopefully loose:

1a) Do whatever my neighbors do.
1b) Ignore 1a if the game gets short.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 PM

I agree with your rules...except at places where there is a Button drop. Then I just can't bring myself to chop. Reasonable?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah, I'm just kinda bein' a nit tonight. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all -- I was wondering the same thing. Obviously 1 big bet of rake is pretty hefty. I play the Foxwoods $2/4; I know all about these things. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Always chop time pots, regardless of rules #1-#4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why time pots? It would seem that a time collection would influence you more to play since everyone is "paying" for that pot rather than the winner.