Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Anyone try Rebate Hold \'em at their home game...?

I've spoken with some of you off the list, and it seems like it's worked as a casual Game X in the midst of otherwise seriously poker. In fact, the strategies employed are a great way to get everyone out of a weak-tight theme that can come up when everyone is "playing by the book."

For a reminder, it is EXACTLY like Hold 'em in every way EXCEPT after the flop, BEFORE bets on the flop, EVERY player, in turn from the small blind around can pitch ONE card from their holdings to get a 50% return of their pre-flop wager. From there, you play as normal (best five card hand wins, even if you just one of yours).

Anyone else try this out? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-29-2004, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Anyone try Rebate Hold \'em at their home game...?

i'll pass. i'd rather just play regular holdem and keep winning.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:07 PM

I posted a stupid variant that does the same thing -- makes the game a lot more weak-tight -- and I'd prefer it to yours. Mostly, it's because I don't like bets coming out of the pot, but also, because pinochle decks are cool. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2004, 10:46 PM

C'mon, daryn, with this type of attitude, cavemen never would've left the cave. I'm talking about Hold 'em: TNG (I'd say what TNG stands for, but, among this group, does anyone REALLY not get the reference).

You should try it with your cronies and win more.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-30-2004, 07:47 PM

From what I have been reading here it seems like a lot of you want to "loosen" up the regular games they are involved in.I read the one post where people were saying maybe play more Omaha and now this suggestion. I am by far the tightest most solid player in my group and the others range from semi-maniacs to tight weak, to no real card sense. While I am sometimes tempted to enlighten some of them more, especially when it is kinda hard to "read" someone who plays almost any two cards, I know I shouldn't interfere with a "good game." It sounds like many here are trying to play more like that ridiculous "Crew" or maybe a Gus Hanson type style. I know there are many ways to approach poker but I like to believe that old school will still work against any "new" styles. Unless you don't mind wild swings in bankroll, isn't simple tight/agressive still the way to go? Good luck to all and pick up good cards.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:17 PM

I'd rather try deuces wild hold'em. I saw one card room was spreading it in the CardPlayer ads.