Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 11:06 AM

Default AK with 3 to a small straight on the flop.

Anyone do anything differently?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 08-27-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: AK with 3 to a small straight on the flop.

Everything looks good. Sometimes I raise the flop to represent a big pair and get to the river for cheap if I miss the turn, sometimes I don't. Nice turn raise, even if you didnt win the hand.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:33 PM

Um would it be good to fold this flop? The pot isnt small but your draws are weak as hell. Cant count the A or K of hearts and other than that if you do get ahead on the turn you still have that straight on the board and flush that can redraw on you.

-Sent
Old 08-27-2004, 05:55 PM

Yeah, I was originally in the "raise the flop" camp, but the more I look at it, the more I might let this go. Raising the flop may buy you a free turn card, but it probably won't fold anyone out unless SB re-raises, in which case you're probably way behind and the free turn card probably won't help you anyway.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: OK, I don\'t understand why calling is no good.

First, I'll reveal that the guy had 32o (I kid you not) for the rivered str8. (lol) But let's put that aside.

I reasoned that a call was worthwhile because I was something less than a 7:1 dog to hit an A or K on the next card, the pot was giving me 13:1 odds on the call, I was closing the action and I had position so I'd be able to see how the action unfolded after the next card.

I didn't want to raise because (1) I'm not getting any of the str8 draws out and (2) even the guys with one pair are getting odds to hit their supposed 5 outers against the overpair that a raise from me would represent.

Where am I going wrong? Thanks.

Edit: OK, looking a little more closely I see that I neglected to discount the heart outs. Still, with no raises I don't necessarily think the hearts are out there.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Re: OK, I don\'t understand why calling is no good.

[ QUOTE ]
Where am I going wrong? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i play it the same. i'd prefer a more ragged board to try for a free card with just overcards. close the action and peel one off. too many turn cards will kill your draw, even if you were to buy a free river card. see the turn cheaply and proceed from there.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:47 PM

My opinion is that you should either raise or fold the flop, and never just call here. Raise to get it possibly checked to you on the turn, of fold because you don't have many outs and the pot is not that big. Calling gives you the worst of both worlds here.

I'm leaning towards a fold on the flop for stated reasons, and also becuase I don't like raising with so few outs -- I like to have a strong value bet component to my raises.