Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 09-08-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: what to make of a huge loss

Thank you all for this. I needed to read some of these posts as I felt GREAT about my playing this past weekend and still was able to lose over a grand at the 10/20 live. While I realize that 50BB's is not that significant, it was the way that I lost it. Run down after run down after run down. Raise UTG with KK only to be called HU by the SB with A4o and flop comes J44. That kinda thing. Not whining and not trying to hijack. Just wanted to post that hearing that there is light at the end of the tunnel helps.

STAY ON IT!

Thanks all.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to realize that average players are getting better and, just like the stock market, the poker craze is gonna bubble (if not already) and burst.

First, fewer and fewer new players will play.
Then the average players will get bored with losing, after all the fish are gone.
Then only the good (read addicted) players will remain, and then they start feeding off each other.

I don't doubt that some of those giving you advice to keep playing are the same ones that are taking your money at the tables.

You can stop playing, only play for fun, or read one of "Dr." Al's stupid articles and keep plugging at it. Enjoy.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow - this might be the most useless response I've ever read ...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 AM

Default Re: walla

Stocks go through their own periods of variance.

My reason for leaving Party was simple...no more rakeback. I wonder how many others left for that reason.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:58 PM

At my lowest point, I lost $12,000 yesterday.

I won $8000 back.

Don't sweat it, everyone has a bad day sometime.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:49 AM

You had a bunch of big loss sessions (I can't be sure how many, since I don't know your mix of limit and NL sessions), all on the same day. That happens to everyone eventually, and it's no fun for anyone.

It's shaking you. You're asking what, if anything, it means.

You didn't say if you were playing B&M or online, but not many B&Ms spread a 2/4, so I'd suggest, in addition to the good advice above that the time to ask yourself about your play onling may be after the first several big losses, not at the end of the day. Not only can it help stop *some* of these downturns, but it can reassure you that you are playing a solid game, when it's just variance, and help *keep* your game solid--your only defense, however limited, against variance.

We all know the ugly things that bad sessions can do to your play. Personally, I believe that this may account for abput half the magnitude of many downswings. For many players, it's much more than half.

I'm sure that many 2+2'ers will all me overconservative, saying that I'm losing opportunities, second-guessing myself, etc.-- but since I'm stuck with the disadvantages of my chosen venues, I think I'd be foolish not to exploit the advantages. the ability to stop and do a solid hand review with relatively little interruption in my play can a big plus that I wouldn't have in a B&M. So I use it.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 PM

If it makes you feel any better, you will have much bigger losses than this in the future if you keep playing. One day you will look back fondly at this 145 bb swing and how well you handled it and continued to build up your bankroll.

Unless, of course, you tilt and destroy what is left of your bankroll. Then you will never look back fondly at this time. It sounds like this is your first downswing- how you handle it will largely determine your poker future.

Choose wisely.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:18 PM

There is a difference between being broke and being poor. Being broke is temporary, being poor is eternal.

*Rich Dad Poor Dad
Old 09-11-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have played well and averaged 2.5 BB/100 on the Limit games over 20K hands. This is something i never thought was poassible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello again. I hate to say it, but you were running hot. From the hands I've seen you play, no one who is that loose and that passive postflop can be a long-term winner. Maybe you've tightened up?
Old 09-11-2005, 03:03 AM

First off, play well within your bankroll if you are adverse to living on the edge of ruin.

Second: Here is something I do that has helped me sleep for a long time even after awful sessions:In my book keeping, next to my net for the day, say 100$, I have a column that will say things like 75% of the time it would be a 180$ day. It's a kind of rough estimate, but I add up all the big pots I lost and how much money I put in as a favorite. In the past half year every negative day I've had has had a negative actual number for the day but a very healthy positive number for the "EV" column. If I get beat the hell down, I still have a dumb grin on my face knowing I played right. I used the technique as basically a pain killer, I hated losing that money, but I'd look at the number that would have been if I didn't get sucked out on, and it makes me feel better. This has helped me a great deal in realizing that a loss isn't really a loss and a win really isn't a win, you just have to be happy with the decisions you make because that's where you make the money.

I play mainly big bet, so it's easier to catalogue such numbers, and it's not totally accurate but I do beleive it's incredibly important to be honest with yourself and keep track of how positive your decisions are. If you honestly have just been beat down by variance, just try and laugh and realize the variance is why these games are good.

I used to lose sleep for days over awful sessions, now I only lose sleep when I make awful mistakes.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:13 AM

Hi BA,

Your mistake was assuming that while you were doing all your winning, that the results reflected your average winning capabilities. More likely, they reflected you when running good. This is you when running bad. Put them together and you may have a fair picture of what to expect on average. Or not--you really won't know until many, many hands (I don't know how many it takes) have been played.

I play for a living, and I go through horrifying streaks like you related (adjusted upwards for the stakes I play), and I never get used to how fast it comes when I'm running good, or how fast it disappears when I'm not. I always over- or underestimate my own abilities, depending on how I'm running.

When I get a little time and space from it, I can see that over several years, I continue to support myself and my family through poker, so I must be doing something right. One thing I know is a key to my continuing to stay afloat is that I don't absolutely implode when things are going badly anymore. No matter how carefully I play, once a year, for about 4-6 weeks, I cannot make 2 pair or less stand up. Weather this storm, and you'll be better for it. Go off out of frustration, and you can take up fishing.

Or I could've said, "Luck is trying to kill me, but it can't kill me unless I help."--RB