Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: I just tilted away half my bankroll in 5 minutes, laugh at me

Never, ever engage in any gambling again.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Here goes, my goals

[ QUOTE ]

I will play 300 hands every day @ 1/2 6 max until December. At 300 hands/day and an estimated winrate of 8 dollars/100, this should make me a little less than 25 dollars/day, taking reload bonuses into account.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 bb/100 is a completely unrealistic goal. Especially with comments like this:

[ QUOTE ]
By this time, my goal is to have PT stats with VPIP under 30 and aggression factor over 2.25, as these are currently my 2 biggest hinderances to my game, with VPIP around 35, and Agression at 1.75.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Here goes, my goals

hahaha, playing blackjack? 8bb/100? I'd contact GA if I were you.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone commit me. I thought I was above it. I thought I had conquered it. It had been 2 or 3 months since one of these episodes.

I drop 25 bets at 2/4 after a few beats. "Oh [censored]", I say to myself, "I need to make that money back, thats enough money to eat for 2 weeks" Here, lets go to a 400 NL table and stack someone. QQ runs into KK and BAM... "Oh [censored] oh [censored], I need that money... lets take a grand and double it back up playing BJ" Double down on 11, get a 2 dealer flips 11 and BAM, im done, down about 1500 for a winrate of around -$18000/hr

I played for over a month for that much money and its gone in 5 minutes, because I cant control myself. I wont let myself lose without going completely [censored] bust. Im not sure if its a disease, or if Im just effing retarded, probably the latter.

The whole reason I havent gambooled my whole roll away is that half of it is processing in neteller right now

In any case, Im done with gambling for a while, I cant handle it... reading this post makes me sound pathetic, which I am for not having any self discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how someone can do this. It makes no sense.

The worst I've done is take $25 to a 25NL table and go all-in every hand preflop. Then I lost it, realized how stupid it was, and left the table. I usually 8 table 30+3 SNGs with a 200+ buyin bankroll, so this is like nothing to my bankroll.

But losing a small portion of it, then losing 4x of that, and then losing 16x at blackjack just seems so retarded... it makes no sense?? I mean, it's not even tilt. Seems like a gambling problem to me.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Never, ever engage in any gambling again.

[/ QUOTE ]

well this certainly makes me feel better about my self control

[ QUOTE ]
When I lost 1/3 of my 21K bankroll a few months ago and put the rest on red (it came up 2, black)

[/ QUOTE ]

holy [censored] [censored] dude!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I drop 25 bets at 2/4 after a few beats. "Oh [censored]"

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading after this. If you go on tilt after dropping only 25 BB I have two words of advice:

1) don't ever play SH
2) don't gamble again until you can control your emotions
Old 09-15-2005, 10:06 PM

First, most of the people here will not laugh at you for losing a lot of money while tilted. We don't come here to laugh at other people; we come here to help and to be helped.

Second, many of us recognize the underlying problem: You are unable to handle losses. You have an excessive need to get even. I recommend you read "The hit and run follies" in John Feeney's, "Inside the poker mind."

Third, read my series on tilt at cardplayer.com. You MUST learn how to identify your triggers BEFORE you go on tilt. The fact that a trivial loss, $100, started a process that caused you to blow half your bankroll strongly suggests that you should not play poker or that you should play only micro-limits. If you can't handle a $100 loss, 2/4 is MUCH too large a game for you because that size loss will frequently occur.

Regards,

Al
Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Chasing losses is fun...

... except when it isn't.

Honestly... I'd count yourself lucky that your blackjack strategy didn't pan out. If it had, you'd be far more likely to try it again... and again...

Hopefully you've learned a lesson that's worth more than a couple dimes over the course of your lifetime.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:59 AM

Stop. Gambling. Now.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:56 AM

I remember the day a while back when I opened up 2000 NL on pokerstars and saw the name RiverTheNuts and thought to myself "bah, another 2+2'er whose already moved up in stakes by properly bankrolling himself and sustaining winrates at the prior limits... im jealous but i'll be there soon". Turns out you were just there blowing the bankroll. I think too much respect is given to people on 2+2, not all of us are true winning long term players. (Not saying you're not a good player but having dscipline is vital to long term success). I used to recognize 2+2 names and think "yep he must be good".