Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Why limit instead of no limit?

hey everyone, I am relatively new to the poker scene and the experienced player that is somewhat mentoring me is a solid limit player (winning online $30-$60). He has urged me to get into poker, low limit hold'em to be more exact. I have done so, and feel I am learning at a reasonable rate. I have another friend that is one of those loud mouths that claim to be earning $100 an hour single tabling the $1-$2 no limit tables. This guy claims that no limit is where the money is. I want to tell him to F off, but I am too kind. So I ask the group, is there any truth to the statement that low no limit is "easier" money than limit. What will make me a better player in the long run... a mixture of both?

Thanks all,
-Shaggy
Old 10-11-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Why limit instead of no limit?

Try both out and see which one you enjoy/win at most.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:08 AM

nobody is making 100$/hr one-tabling 1-2$ NL.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey everyone, I am relatively new to the poker scene and the experienced player that is somewhat mentoring me is a solid limit player (winning online $30-$60). He has urged me to get into poker, low limit hold'em to be more exact. I have done so, and feel I am learning at a reasonable rate. I have another friend that is one of those loud mouths that claim to be earning $100 an hour single tabling the $1-$2 no limit tables. This guy claims that no limit is where the money is. I want to tell him to F off, but I am too kind. So I ask the group, is there any truth to the statement that low no limit is "easier" money than limit. What will make me a better player in the long run... a mixture of both?

Thanks all,
-Shaggy

[/ QUOTE ]

Winrates are generally higher at no limit, but it's harder to multi-table. I'm not going to bother going to explain details in thread with a general question. Seriously, I hate this question. All games are profitable, the most profitable form is the one that fits your persona the best most the time. I just had a hard time putting in hours at no limit and I found it more stressfull which caused me to either quit while I was ahead because the stress was over, or quit when I was behind because I was stressed out.

I primarily play limit now because I find it much less stressfull, I have little difficulty in mutlitabling, and I can play without caring about the results of any hand for hours on end. Players need to find what game suits them best. If I don't see any good limit games and there are good NL games I have no trouble switching. Though I strongly discourage playing NL and Limit on seperate tables.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nobody is making 100$/hr one-tabling 1-2$ NL.

[/ QUOTE ] That much I know. My presumption is that NL is more volatile than limit. Is this a correct statement?
I know what it takes to earn money in gaming, grinding out small edges, with lots of volatility. I come from a serious blackjack background, where a $5000 bank is required to earn $25 an hour. I know what it takes to earn money with small edges. I want to get into something that will allow me to earn some money on a daily or weekly basis when i am not on one of my once a month blackjack trips. Since I am just getting started I want to get into the right game. So which is it, limit or NL.

I understand solid limit $2-$4 play will earn approx $8 per 100 hands... roughly $16 an hour 2-Tabling (all i am capable of doing so far). will NL earn a solid player more than that with the same or less volatility? this is assuming I were a solid player, which I will be some day, but I am not yet.

Thanks again for the help
-Shaggy
Old 10-11-2005, 01:20 AM

Great piece of advice, thank you.
-Shaggy
Old 10-11-2005, 01:28 AM

In general it is said that NL has lower variance than limit, but as far as winrates are concerned I'm not sure what a solid figure is.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:30 AM

All of this is covered in the various FAQs on the site, but some quick answers.

NL normally has less variance than Limit because it is easier for a better player to use their advantage than in limit, where the betting structure allows much more luck. However, this does not mean NL is a better game for you or me, it is just a different game.

And 2BB/100 multitabling $2/$4 is not at all difficult to achieve if you study limit hold'em.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:12 AM

2BB/100 is not the same as 2bb/hr because a lot of tables run at less than 100 hands/hr.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That much I know. My presumption is that NL is more volatile than limit. Is this a correct statement?

I understand solid limit $2-$4 play will earn approx $8 per 100 hands... roughly $16 an hour 2-Tabling (all i am capable of doing so far). will NL earn a solid player more than that with the same or less volatility? this is assuming I were a solid player, which I will be some day, but I am not yet.

Thanks again for the help
-Shaggy

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You will experiance greater varience playing limit than NL.

2. You cant play 200 hands an hour ($8/100 hands| $16/hr) only 2 tabling unless you are playing very short handed.