Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Favorite ignorances

Foreign films. If they are not good enough to be made in English why should I bother to watch.

Kung Fu movies are the only exception because they all have the same plot and ending. You watch for the action and could care less what colorful terms they are using to essentially say,"Prepare to have yourself beaten senseless by my fists of death!"

Edit - Cable news channels. I can get everything faster and more accurately from the web.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Foreign films. If they are not good enough to be made in English why should I bother to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]There's a lot of GREAT foreign films. Try: City of God, Run Lola Run, Life is Beautiful, Amores Perros, Rififi, Amelie, or Rashomon (mostly different genres, so if you don't like one, don't assume the rest are bad).
Old 10-04-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible pick.

I liked all of the OP's picks, especially 8, 9, and 10
Old 10-04-2005, 11:43 PM

i enjoy watching my own NFL football team play, but the whole stigma of "Monday Night Football" seems bizarre to me. i rarely watch. also college football. what enjoyment can you possibly get from watching your 80 scholarship state school with 20 percent graduation rate beat up on much smaller schools only to be arbitrarily decided whose best by judges at the end of the season. it seems like figure skating without hot asians.

moneyball among nerds. has oakland even made an LCS under billy beane???
Old 10-05-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i enjoy watching my own NFL football team play, but the whole stigma of "Monday Night Football" seems bizarre to me. i rarely watch. also college football. what enjoyment can you possibly get from watching your 80 scholarship state school with 20 percent graduation rate beat up on much smaller schools only to be arbitrarily decided whose best by judges at the end of the season. it seems like figure skating without hot asians.

moneyball among nerds. has oakland even made an LCS under billy beane???

[/ QUOTE ]

um the best college football, is the conference games, yes the first couple weeks are pretty boring, but when you start getting the FSU vs Florida, OU vs Texas, Mich vs OSU etc games its very good, of course it has a shitty postseason though

um there is more "actual action" in football than in soccer, yeah its more stop/go, but at least every game isn't 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, or 1-1
Old 10-05-2005, 02:57 PM

That's a lousy definition of action.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM

homosexuality and it's culture
art
non western cultures
country music & the dances done to it
vegetarian dieting
whatever the current term for hippies is.
"alternative" lifestyles (transgender, making yourself look like an animal etc)

and most of the stuff from your list
Old 10-04-2005, 04:24 PM

1. Ballet - just an excuse for posh skinny birds to flash their gussets

2. Opera - just an excuse for fat birds to show their oral skills

Actually, these aren't that bad, when I put it that way...
Old 10-04-2005, 05:04 PM

Faulkner is a really good one.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

12. Fixing stuff. I could learn more about working on cars or fixing plumbing or such -- but I don't want to. I hate paying people to do it for me, but not as much as I hate learning it, and doing it, myself. I can change my oil and my filters in my car, and handle my tires; that's good enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its fine not to know everything about cars as long as you know the basics and can fix a flat tire. Its also very good to be able to fix stuff around the house. Yes this is coming from the guy that couldn't figure out how to hang a wall clock (I didn't see the damn hole in the back, and anyway a nail didn't hold it).

I agree about Faulkner and a lot of other writers. I just can't stomach it. I hate others a lot more than Faulkner though. Pretty much anybody that wrote in the Victorian era. I don't get all of the nuances of the writing and I don't want to. I don't want to know that Fagan's gang in Oliver Twist also work as child prostitutes. (HAHA! FAGan's gang!!!! GET IT???) I also can't read Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice or anything like that

As for football, you don't have to be intelligent about it to appreciate it. You just have to be a man.

The ballet: [censored] it

Opera: I am ignorant about this too but I still like to hear it every now and then. And besides, other languages are very nice to hear when sung properly.

Female sports: [censored] em

Celebrities: [censored] em

feminism : [censored] it

feminazis : double [censored] it

presidents dog: cool with me

religious occasions: really more about getting together with your loved ones than the the actual religious crap. At least, that's whwy I've come to appreciate them even though i'm atheist
I will add my own and that is baseball. The most boring sport there is until playoff time. The season's way too long and the game lacks strategy. Definitely my least favorite sport of the major american ones.

PS great post