Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 07:01 AM

Default MTT / STT boundry?

Sorry for the 'noobness' of the question but I wondered whrere in the grand scheme of things something like a 30 player tournament would be.

Can it be regarded as a STT on a slightly larger table or does it play more like a true MTT?

I aks because I seem to do better in these 30 player things than the traditional 10 player ones and I'm not sure if I should look here (treating them as MTT's) or on the STT forum for advice, hints etc.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Re: MTT / STT boundry?

well it can't be a stt unless all 30 players sit at the same table. hence, single table tournament. perhaps it's an sng though. it doesn't really matter what it's called. the goal is to go out there and get all the chips.

i've also seen the abbreviations 2TT and 3TT for 2 and 3 table tourneys.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well it can't be a stt unless all 30 players sit at the same table. hence, single table tournament. perhaps it's an sng though. it doesn't really matter what it's called. the goal is to go out there and get all the chips.

i've also seen the abbreviations 2TT and 3TT for 2 and 3 table tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so it's not technically an STT as there are 3 tables. It is an SNG however as it fires as soon as all 30 people have signed up.

The real quesion is how it plays.

It has elements of an STT because there are so few people involved. The jump from 10 to 30 is not really that great. It also only pays top 3 places in true STT fashion (50%/30%/20%)

It also has an element of a true MTT because the blinds raise at a much slower rate than the normal 10-person STT. I beleive that this is why I play them better than STT's because there is more chance to play poker. The point at which your choices are limited to push/fold is quite early in an STT. Don't get me wrong, it's still important to manage your chips, steal blinds, make good pushes etc, there is just more poker available at the start. Perhaps I'm a better post flop player than pre flop which would account for the fact I seem to be competative on one and not the other.

I just wondered which of the forums I should be spending my time reading. The traditional STT one or this one?
Old 09-19-2005, 09:07 AM

I think that type of game plays more like the single table tourneys. It is much shorter than the typical MTT primarily being discussed in this forum.