Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 08:51 PM

Default An early hand from the Empire tourney

#Game No : 2416118773
***** Hand History for Game 2416118773 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:14215576 Level:1 Blinds (10/15) - Sunday, July 24, 13:09:12 EDT 2005
Table Multi-Table(401452) Table #24 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: uniquename82 ( $985 )
Seat 2: kisa444 ( $975 )
Seat 3: Zepfan4 ( $1015 )
Seat 4: ENIGMA4U4ME ( $825 )
Seat 5: CapoCapo ( $1965 )
Seat 6: cassietate ( $970 )
Seat 7: IMsoLucky0 ( $975 )
Seat 8: richabbs ( $1335 )
Seat 9: leetee1 ( $1000 )
Seat 10: petch84 ( $955 )
Trny:14215576 Level:1
Blinds (10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to IMsoLucky0 [ Jd Ad ]
richabbs folds.
leetee1 folds.
petch84 calls [15].
uniquename82 folds.
kisa444 folds.
Zepfan4 folds.
ENIGMA4U4ME calls [15].
CapoCapo calls [15].
cassietate folds.
IMsoLucky0 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Kd, 7d, Ks ]

IMsoLucky0 checks.
petch84 checks.
ENIGMA4U4ME checks.
CapoCapo bets [55].
IMsoLucky0 calls [55].
petch84 folds.
ENIGMA4U4ME folds.

You call a ~3/4 pot-sized bet. What was your reasoning here? The pot is relatively small, and if you don't hit your hand on the turn, you probably can't stay in for a lot more action. To reasonably take this risk here, don't you need to be fairly confident you'll get paid more for hitting your hand? Otherwise aren't you just pissing away chips? Espcially considering one of those checkers could be slowplaying and reraise after you call?

** Dealing Turn ** [ 5h ]
IMsoLucky0 checks.
CapoCapo checks.

Ok, capo is weak. Maybe you read this.

** Dealing River ** [ Td ]
IMsoLucky0 bets [125].
CapoCapo folds.
IMsoLucky0 does not show cards.
IMsoLucky0 wins 305 chips

You win 125 chips on this hand. Capo doesn't pay you off. I'd say Capo outplayed you here (except for his turn play). You took the risk to hit your draw and being raise big by one of the flop checkers, but you didn't get paid sufficiently for the risk you took when you hit the flush.

Maybe I play to weak tight. Please give me your analysis.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Complete Hand Histories available from some recent tournaments.

[ QUOTE ]
In the Empire 50K, your 97 cracks some guy's kings when you flop a straight, and he gets mad and says, "i know for a fact ur not gonna make a damn penny out of this tourney". Hilarious. I really hope he looked up the results of this tourney afterwards.

I'm getting just as much entertainment from reading the chat as I am knowledge from reviewing the hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHA this is HILARIOUS... "u wont make a penny on this tourney"

I had to cut out the playing to read it all great stuff

SGTSmoke420: deadmoney what the XXXX was that with the 79??
SGTSmoke420: how much u invest in this tourney so far??
SGTSmoke420: XXXXin joke
IMsoLucky0: i thought my pair was good
SGTSmoke420: ur pair??
SGTSmoke420: i know for a fact ur not gonna make a damn penny out of this tourney
SGTSmoke420: prob don't make XXXX
IMsoLucky0: wanna play headsup?
SGTSmoke420: just donate to funds
SGTSmoke420: yes
IMsoLucky0: what limit?
SGTSmoke420: highest u got
IMsoLucky0: send me the invite
you play omaha?
SGTSmoke420: nope
SGTSmoke420: hold on
SGTSmoke420: it says private table aren't available
SGTSmoke420: u try to make it
SGTSmoke420: XXXX it all u need to know is ur XXXXin worthless
SGTSmoke420: u should just delete ur account and give up
SGTSmoke420: cuz ur never gonna make money
IMsoLucky0: I've made more than you know.
IMsoLucky0: I won a multi on party today and took 2nd in another, ty
SGTSmoke420: i got 2nd in the 200000 last month
SGTSmoke420: more than u'll ever see
IMsoLucky0: I won the friday special 2 weeks ago
SGTSmoke420: what is that 10000?? guarantee
IMsoLucky0: 215 buyin, no guarantee
IMsoLucky0: paid 43000
SGTSmoke420: ur name says it all
IMsoLucky0: Why are you even on this table?

im guessing u didnt get to take his money heads up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As for the poker being played i havent gone over allthe hands yet but there was a few hands i wondered about, I will post when i finish reading.\

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Complete Hand Histories available from some recent tournaments.

Marked a few hands i will go over later this one caught my eye. Why are u completing with Q3s here ? not a huge blow here but still like 1/4 of your stack after the flop. I did notice u like to do a little stop and bet out kinda thing from the SB alot where u complete and bet out any flop.

Just wanted some general thoughts about completing the SB and this hand in particular i think if im in your shoes im pushing this hand preflop with your stack.

***** Hand History for Game 2420157482 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:14229573 Level:18 Blinds (4000/8000) - Monday, July 25, 01:39:00 EDT 2005
Table $50,000 Guaranteed Sunday Night Poker(383423) Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 4: azbabyface ( $39177 )
Seat 5: seahope ( $89324 )
Seat 7: thimsy ( $81896 )
Seat 8: IMsoLucky0 ( $204702 )
Seat 10: XXNLPROXX ( $42420 )
Seat 3: Nitemaren ( $175481 )
Trny:14229573 Level:18
Blinds (4000/8000)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to IMsoLucky0 [ 3s Qs ]
Nitemaren folds.
azbabyface folds.
seahope folds.
thimsy folds.
IMsoLucky0 calls [4000].
XXNLPROXX checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 9s, 8d, 3c ]
IMsoLucky0 checks.
XXNLPROXX is all-In [34420]
IMsoLucky0 calls [34420].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8h ]
** Dealing River ** [ 5d ]
IMsoLucky0 shows [ 3s, Qs ] two pairs, eights and threes.
XXNLPROXX shows [ 4d, 9d ] two pairs, nines and eights.
XXNLPROXX wins 84840 chips from the main pot with two pairs, nines and eights.
see

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: An early hand from the Empire tourney

yes, i did not like this either...and i especially did not like a couple hands later the QTc hand...seems like too much gamble, i fold PF and def fold to large bet on flop...

tho i could be wrong...plz walk us through these two draws
Old 08-02-2005, 08:09 AM

ok threads long but i don't think this one was mentioned...

AJo hand at about 100-200 blinds you limped...flop J9x turn T and you bet ~70% of pot on flop but check the turn

why?

i would assume you are still good here, don't you at least want to throw a blocker? what is your intention if he bets? Say he puts out 1250 into the t2500 pot?

also this was a rebuy event right? your hand selection was v yucky early going...
Old 08-15-2005, 08:27 AM

I'm replaying one of the tournaments now. There's a hand I'm confused about early in the "109-second".

Early in the tournament, Imsolucky0 is in the small blind with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP miniraises to 30, and there are 2 callers. Imso calls from the small blind, and the big blind calls.

(150 in pot). The flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], giving Imso an overcard and a flush draw. He checks, bb checks, MP checks, LP bets 150, and the button folds. Here Imso calls for 150.

He's getting 2:1 and I put him on about 10 outs. Perhaps someone will come along behind, but this is a hand that I'd fold here, as it's 10% of my stack and I seem to be taking the worst of it. Even if I think LP will do this without a pair, I still think I probably fold here. Anyone who can help straighten me out, thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm replaying one of the tournaments now. There's a hand I'm confused about early in the "109-second".

Early in the tournament, Imsolucky0 is in the small blind with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP miniraises to 30, and there are 2 callers. Imso calls from the small blind, and the big blind calls.

(150 in pot). The flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], giving Imso an overcard and a flush draw. He checks, bb checks, MP checks, LP bets 150, and the button folds. Here Imso calls for 150.

He's getting 2:1 and I put him on about 10 outs. Perhaps someone will come along behind, but this is a hand that I'd fold here, as it's 10% of my stack and I seem to be taking the worst of it. Even if I think LP will do this without a pair, I still think I probably fold here. Anyone who can help straighten me out, thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't looked at this, but it looks like it is in the first round, and hero calls off 10% of his stack with a flush draw?

First, he has implied odds if he hits. Second, he may get to see the river for free if he misses. Third, early in a tournament a lot of players (myself included) like to look for spots to pick up a bunch of chips, even if it risks part or all of our stack. The general idea is that the decisions you make later in a tournament are much more important (from a cashing equity stand point) than the ones you make earlier. It is really valuable to have a bigger stack at the later stages since it allows you to steal more effectively, and it allows you to survive losing a hand or two. Therefore, it is better to embrace variance early in order to mitigate it later. Embracing variance does not mean getting in negative EV situations, but being willing to gamble with small edges. Here, the implied odds probably makes this +EV, especially since there are others who may come along since they will be getting better odds after hero calls. It sucks if someone raises behind, but overall this is a fine call IMO, though folding and raising are also decent options. (Raising being my least favorite of the three since you really hate a call with about as many chips left as the pot size here OOP.)
Old 08-15-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't looked at this, but it looks like it is in the first round, and hero calls off 10% of his stack with a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is correct.

[ QUOTE ]
First, he has implied odds if he hits. Second, he may get to see the river for free if he misses. Third, early in a tournament a lot of players (myself included) like to look for spots to pick up a bunch of chips, even if it risks part or all of our stack. The general idea is that the decisions you make later in a tournament are much more important (from a cashing equity stand point) than the ones you make earlier. It is really valuable to have a bigger stack at the later stages since it allows you to steal more effectively, and it allows you to survive losing a hand or two. Therefore, it is better to embrace variance early in order to mitigate it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he makes several calls in late position with cheap hands and gets lucky on a couple of them and gets some chips. I've only played about 25 of these, but I'm starting to realize that if you have enough chips to be able to actually play poker for a whole hand without it crippling you, the other players are literally going to just hand you chips.

Watching this tournament (and there are two left that I'm really looking forward to) has been the single best learning experience of my short career. I have seen lots of places where he plays that I fold, and I've also noticed that he's keeping his bets a bit smaller than mine in most cases, so that he doesn't get himself stuck. Other than that, once he's in hands, I'm making about the same plays, but I am really impressed by these as a learning tool for me and they are really helping.