Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Lessons from a superior player -- Phil Ivey

I think we are watching a legend of poker. Lessons for 2+2 poker students -- why Phil Ivey is a superior poker player:

1. He eats, sleeps, breathes and lives poker. He plays and practices constantly. He has tried every strategy and seen every possible situation.

2. Student of poker. He thinks about poker constantly, including his mistakes, and is always trying to improve his game.

3. Intense focus. Has the mental and physical ability to sit quietly for long periods of time and maintain focus without losing concentration.

4. Extremely patient, and is able to play long sessions.

5. Aggressive, confident and fearless. Not afraid to lose, not afraid to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes, extremely confident in his game.

6. Massive bankroll. Neither a single hand nor his entire buy-in for a session presents a threat to his overall bankroll. The buy-in for even the largest tournaments does not dent his bankroll, and he never thinks about the money that he will lose if he busts out of a tournament or has a losing cash-game session.

7. Emotionally detached from each hand, from the other players, and from the game. Each decision of each hand is governed entirely by the situation at that moment, and is unclouded by any emotional issues surrounding the opponent, prior bad beats, bankroll concerns, etc.

8. Not driven by a desire to impress others. Does not care what others think about his play. Lets his results speak for themselves.

9. Sixth-sense poker ability. Amazing ability to read other players, smell weakness or strength, and take advantage at every possible opportunity or avoid trouble. Largely the result of #1 above -- constant play improves the ability to read other players.

10. Superior reputation allows him to create fear or confusion and take advantage of situations that are not available to many other players.

Some of these may be assumptions, but probably very close to reality. Now, if I can only incorporate more of these characteristics in my game...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Lessons from a superior player -- Phil Ivey

just skimming it, pretty useless.

phil ivey's career is definitely not an example of conservative bankroll management.

virtually all of these are just cliches and i doubt you have any real reasons or validation.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we are watching a legend of poker. Lessons for 2+2 poker students -- why Phil Ivey is a superior poker player:

1. He eats, sleeps, breathes and lives poker. He plays and practices constantly. He has tried every strategy and seen every possible situation.

2. Student of poker. He thinks about poker constantly, including his mistakes, and is always trying to improve his game.

3. Intense focus. Has the mental and physical ability to sit quietly for long periods of time and maintain focus without losing concentration.

5. Aggressive, confident and fearless. Not afraid to lose, not afraid to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes, extremely confident in his game.

6. Massive bankroll. Neither a single hand nor his entire buy-in for a session presents a threat to his overall bankroll. The buy-in for even the largest tournaments does not dent his bankroll, and he never thinks about the money that he will lose if he busts out of a tournament or has a losing cash-game session.

7. Emotionally detached from each hand, from the other players, and from the game. Each decision of each hand is governed entirely by the situation at that moment, and is unclouded by any emotional issues surrounding the opponent, prior bad beats, bankroll concerns, etc.

8. Not driven by a desire to impress others. Does not care what others think about his play. Lets his results speak for themselves.

9. Sixth-sense poker ability. Amazing ability to read other players, smell weakness or strength, and take advantage at every possible opportunity or avoid trouble. Largely the result of #1 above -- constant play improves the ability to read other players.

10. Superior reputation allows him to create fear or confusion and take advantage of situations that are not available to many other players.

Some of these may be assumptions, but probably very close to reality. Now, if I can only incorporate more of these characteristics in my game...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know this because you're his best friend, right? Or you've just seen him on TV a couple of times...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like me saying Brett Favre is the greatest QB in NFL history, and here's why .........

I don't know Brett for [censored]. You don't know Phil for [censored]. You may think you know about Phil, but you just don't know for sure.

His results are impressive, no question. But how do you 'know' all this about Phil? From a couple of WPT soundbites???

I do think Phil seems to be one of the best players out there from what I have seen. But I don't know him ... and neither do you.

(boy, I will feel silly if you come back and say you're his neighbor or something)

Anyways, have a good day.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:38 PM

This is a joke right?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people love to blow Phil Ivey all the time? BTW, aren't these traits a key part of anyone becoming a successful poker player? Oh yeah, I don't think Phil always had the best BR management skills--not sure if he even does now.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:48 PM

Jesus people lighten up and get the corn cobs out of your asses.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:53 PM

As stated, those traits apply to all great poker players. I guess it seems that Phil Ivey examplifies those traits to a greater degree than others. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I don't think Phil always had the best BR management skills--not sure if he even does now.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you refering to?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I don't think Phil always had the best BR management skills--not sure if he even does now.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you refering to?

[/ QUOTE ]

he would take shots at higher limits with only 50 BB or so, apparently, taking huge chances of going broke along the way.