Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: A narrative.

imm pretty sure that the FBI wouldnt care. or any law enforcement agencey for that matter.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
imm pretty sure that the FBI wouldnt care. or any law enforcement agencey for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

(hmm... boosting my post count?)
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously folks. he lives overseas. that means i have to report him to the FBI internet task force and i do not think they will feel too sorry for me (unless they used the GRANNY bonus).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is lame, granny. What does the FBI have to do with it? It was a canadian who committed the crime and the crime occurred in cyberspace, and anyway the FBI is anti-poker-site while my understanding is that Canada recognizes their legality. You should obviously report this to Canadian authorities. Now, I don't know if they can do anything in these circumstances, but I think an email to the Mounties (seems like I read somewhere that they handle internet crime, which is LOL in itself) showing the agreement made in PMs and then a summary of subsequent events, including Kaz's full name and address, would be most appropriate and would cost you very little.

And what's especially lame is the argument that you've learned your lesson and got your money back anyway. First off, it seems to me that it should be the criminal who has a lesson to learn here, not the injured party. Instead, you've taught this criminal and several dozen would-be criminals the lesson that even if you get caught, you can get away with this because most people aren't going to take the trouble to prosecute. So while you take to heart the lesson that you should live in fear and never do anything that might expose you to loss, you've just made the web a more dangerous place for all of us.

And second, you didn't get YOUR money back, you got other peoples money who very kindly stepped forward to keep you from drawing too much of a hunker-down lesson out of events. The thief still has your money (even though he lost it with his superb poker prowess).

I'm sorry if this is harsh. I haven't had any direct contact with you, but you've always been and will continue to be one of my favorite posters here. But I've engaged in a number of transactions like this, and so far I've never had a bad experience, and I really like that there is as much honesty on the web as there is. Anything that jeopardizes that just makes me mad, and victims who just suck it up cause even more harm than the scumbags who do the scam.

I'm curious how other folks feel about reporting these kinds of crimes so I think I'll put up a poll to ask the question, but I won't mention you and otherwise I'll drop the topic now. Again, I'm sorry to be so harsh and I hope you understand that my objective here is not to attack you, but to hopefully change the minds of some other readers who might be in the same position one day.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:57 PM

memphis,

i fully understand your point.

i don't know if you understand mine tho. online poker is still quasi-legal and i don't want to open any investigations with my name on it.

i'm not claiming to be rich, but the loss sustained here is not enough for me to take such a risk.

as far as me getting my money back, i got 230 from paradise (which was MY money) and about $58 from different donations (that i have been begging people not to make). then i got another 300 in donations from inthacup and jim kuhn which i immediately returned. so your statement about people here giving my money back is not really accurate. all the posters gave me was $58 and i DO feel bad for that, but i doubt stars wants me to start reversing $3 & $4 donations because that just costs everyone time and money. there was a $25 donation there from 2kf that i kept (for humor reasons), the rest was tiny amounts.

as far as it being my obligation to others, i have to worry about myself and my family. the authorities may view this no differently than a drug dealer ripping off a drug user.

finally, this poster ripped off TWO other posters here. had those 2 posters done THEIR job and simply reported it to the forum, i would not have been in this situation to begin with.

i fully respect the sentiment behind your post tho.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 PM

It looks like he is trying to pay up. Let us know what happens.