Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: College Advice.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you actually have to work and study in order to do well in precalc, you should probably find a new major.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-01-2005, 10:56 PM

This has been somewhat addressed... but it still confused me.

How in the hell are you a scholarship student, and at the same time taking pre calculus in college? I finished Calc 1, 2, and 3 in highschool, and wasn't like some math genius or anything. My college allowed you to take Pre calc if you hadnt taken it in highschool (again I dont know how you are in college if you didnt), but you didnt even get college credit.

And this statement bothered me, " The reason I'm not doing well though is because I've missed so much of class, not because I don't understand the material. How did you get in the nature of skipping classes in your freshman year? I honestly didnt know freshman who skipped too many classes, that usually doesnt start until sophmore year when you know what is going on.

Anyways, good luck with keeping a scholarship, but it seems unlikely you will.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:53 PM

I know this thread is kinda dying, but it must be said that any self respecting CS major shouldn't have to go to a precalculus class to pass. Most don't have to go and could still get an A/B. There is no way you can understand the material and not pass even without going to class. I mean, do your homework, do well on the tests, you don't need to sit through lecture. Of course, this is assuming you actually understand the material.

I never went to lecture after the first one for my differential equations class but did the homework, learned and understood the needed material with a little help from my TA at times, and ended up with an A-. I was a CS major for my freshman year and all of my CS major friends and I looked at calculus classes as GPA boosters that they didn't even have to go to.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 PM

Hey Caruso,

I'm also a freshamn in college. So I can relate to having no motivation and all that stuff, but there is really no excuse for failing precalc. It is not a hard class. (I took it in 8th grade and did fine). Get your crap together. GO to class and DO the assignments and you should be able to pull your grade up no problem.

Also, stop wasting so much time on 2+2, its a terrible habit to get into [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 12:00 AM

What NLSoldier said.

I've got a few friends that are going to GCSU next year (and I know a couple of people that are freshman there this year). Me, I'm going to UGA.

I play poker a lot, but that doesn't stop me from getting good grades. Just as you expect to get better from poker by doing it a lot, conversely you should expect to get better grades if you bust your ass on the books.

Just bust your ass, and by the time you'll graduate you'll be glad you did, because there's little room for error when you're out of college without a diploma, unless you've got ZeeJustin-like smarts/capabilities.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:37 AM

I didn't read past the first few replies, but here goes nothing.

I'm also a freshman in college. I have a scholarship somewhat similar to yours, but it only pays half of my tuition each year if I maintain a 3.0.

I would classify myself as an extremely unmotivated and lazy person up to this point (I did put more effort into HS, but not by much). I'm taking 12 credits this semester and I took 12 last semester. Like most of the young college guys on this forum, I'm sure that I play more hours of poker than I spend in class. I do about 3 hours of homework per week and only study for a few hours before midterms. For some people, having work ethic like this would put them on academic probation, or maybe even flunk out. For some reason or another, I can pull it off. The key is, if you AREN'T able to do this, you have to change your ways, or you're destined for failure. Recognizing that you're behind is a huge key to success in college.

I have no idea how you can be so behind having only 8 credits. I have 12 credits, and my schedule is a joke. To turn your semester around, I recommend you:

1) Drop the Calc class (if it won't affect your scholarship).
2) Go to every class.
3) Go to the library to do any work (I just started going to the library--it's amazing how productive you can be without the distraction of poker, TV, computer, drinking, girls, etc.)
4) Find someone who can explain how to do anything you don't understand, be it your TA or a friend. Don't let yourself get behind.

Also, I would seriously consider your choice for a major. Math/Logic skills are SO important in programming (I'm in an Intro to Programming class right now, and it's extremely challenging). If you're struggling with your pre-calc class, you need to either a) find another way to learn the material, or b) pick a different major. I have no doubts in my mind that you can maintain a 3.0 if you actually follow what I said before. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:08 AM

I have been in school far far too long. I will hopefully be out by the end of this year. Words of advice.

Community college credits count the same and you can easily get rid of easy freshman/soph classes, and cheaper. Books are always hella cheaper on eBay. To not shop on ebay is only making you pay more for the damn books. You have to never miss class. No matter what, always be there. Have afternoon, and if available, evening classes all the time. I have never seen when going in to talk to a professor has ever hurt your grade situation. Dont have class on Friday. Always have friends proofread papers. Change the class instantly (1st day) if you already know the professor is horrible.

I can understand your frustration with PreCal. Some people just really do bad in math. Focus, and just get at least a C to receive passing credit.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you actually have to work and study in order to do well in precalc, you should probably find a new major.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a CS major in college and this is an absolutely true statement. You will not survive this major if precalculus is difficult.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:29 AM

I have a BS in Comp. Sci. and I'm going to give you the advice that I wish someone had given me.

Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way affiliated with the military. Join the Air National Guard.

There are a few reasons why you should do this. First off, you will receive a top secret security clearance from the ANG for a good number of the jobs that you can do while in the ANG. These days in our industry, college degrees are a dime a dozen. If you think grades don't matter, try getting a job with no experience that 200 other people are applying for who graduated with honors. Clearances make you valuable and you will have zero problem finding a job making 25% more than you would if you didn't have a clearance.

Second, you mentioned money troubles and how you might lose your scolarship. If you join the ANG, you will get tuition assistance from them which may end up covering all of your expenses.

Third, you're a slacker and you need the structure and discipline. They'll give you all the kicks in the butt you need.

Fourth, you won't have to miss any time in school. If you tell a recruiter that you will join on the condition that you go to boot camp between semesters during the summer, I'm sure they'd oblige you.

You should join and be one of the guys who loads/unloads planes. I have several friends who do that and that's a guaranteed clearance because you have to handle nuclear weapons from time to time.

Some people may say you might get deployed to active duty for a while. This is a definite possibility but if you do and you are a plane loader, you will be countries away from the fighting.

Hope whatever you do works out for you.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Default This is Why Scholarships Are BullSh**

I don't want to go on insulting the original poster here. But, far too many students in SC and GA are on scholarship. They don't understand basic math, but yet they are top notch scholarship students?

As for my advice. Get yer act together NOW. You aren't going to get a computer science degree by being a lazy ass. And as someone with a 55 in pre calc, poker probably wouldn't be a good back up plan.