Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Buying outs?

Party 2/4. Reads: BB is a fish and the reason i am in the game. He plays way to many hands pre flop he bluffs to much in hopeless situations post flop and always slow plays his big hands. CO is very tight aggressive pre flop and very weak tight and predictable post flop. SB and MP are unknown.

Pre flop: I raise UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], folds to MP who cold calls, folds to CO who 3-bets, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls and i call.

Flop(5 players 15sb):9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checks around. CO has over cards.

Turn(5 players 7.5bb): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BB bets and I raise?

1) given my read of CO does everyone still cap here pre flop?
2) How should i have played the flop?
3) Given my read of BB what are your thoughts on the turn raise? Good or spew?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Buying outs?

Your equity against 4 opponents preflop is HUGE, so not capping here is criminal, IMO.

After that I want to get in as many bets as possible on this nice flop, so I would bet/3bet.

I just call the turn. Even if BB could be bluffing it would suck to blow away the field with the nut flushdraw only to have BB call you down with 82.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:55 AM

1. I would cap AKo preflop. We have a lot of equity in a 5-way pot.

2. We have a strong draw on the flop (9 clubs + 5 non-club overcards = approximately 11.5 outs). Why don't you bet it for value? If CO is predictable his response will also help define his hand more clearly. I'll pump this draw on the flop as long as 2 callers are coming along.

3. Folding is out of the question, BB is a bluffer, CO has told us he's weak and we have a strong draw. I like a raise for these reasons. (But the hand would have played differently had you capped preflop and bet your draw on the flop).
Old 11-12-2005, 10:59 AM

Not capping PF with all those loose calls between is a crime. I would then be leading any flop of course.
The way you played it from there on is fine. I wouldn't want to laed this flop and have CO raise with a PP and then I loose my draw padders when they are looking at 2 cold. Even though the pot is big I don't see any reason to have to "clean up outs". I love the turn raise to push out the other AK.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:45 AM

Good God man--bet the flop! You have the nut flush draw and two overcards. 12outs=44% equity. A CO raise is unlikely to shut out callers behind him. Hope he raises so you can 3 bet. I think I'd check/call a non-club, A or king on the turn
Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good God man--bet the flop! You have the nut flush draw and two overcards. 12outs=44% equity. A CO raise is unlikely to shut out callers behind him. Hope he raises so you can 3 bet. I think I'd check/call a non-club, A or king on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid question: Can someone explain equity to me?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:50 PM

The % that your hand will be best at showdown.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:02 PM

An interesting way to play this hand. I wouldn't play it this way though. You're second to last to act on the flop and you have the nut flush draw plus any A or K could give you the best hand. It seems criminal not to bet for value here. Anyone with a decent club will call you or even raise, which is nothing to worry about because if you hit your card on the turn or river you can raise if the flop bettor bets. I suppose you make a nice play against the loose opponent, but it doesn't seem necessary in this situation. I would be taking advantage of his high bluffing frequency in other situations by raising with bottom or middle pair. This flop is too good for the fancy play.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so 12 outs would be 12/46 = 26% chance (on the turn) to win at showdown. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid question: Can someone explain equity to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.pokerstove.com

Download this and start messing around with it, and then mourn for having not bet the flop.