Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Not An Easy Thing To Do

Almost half the public, 46 percent, say the level of ethics and honesty in the federal government has fallen with Bush as president.

Not an easy thing to do, given that the prior president was Bill Clinton.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Not An Easy Thing To Do

From some of your posts I've gotten the impression you're "Democrat Party Inclined." So, I'm assuming this to be another shot at GWB.

I'm not defending him, or his party of choice. What I'd like to know is just how does the crap done by any member of the House or Senate relate to who's in the Oval Office?

Leaders lead those who choose to be lead. Those who do not want to be lead can not be lead. They have their own interests to tend to.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I'd like to know is just how does the crap done by any member of the House or Senate relate to who's in the Oval Office?

[/ QUOTE ]

What leads you to believe that the reason for the poll results cited was conduct of congresscritters and not the conduct of white house officials that have been indicted?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 PM

i have zero respect for the bush administration. what they have been doing is just insane.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What leads you to believe that the reason for the poll results cited was conduct of congresscritters and not the conduct of white house officials that have been indicted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair question. And I plead guilty to "ass-u-ming." (damn i hate when i do that!)

Now if only Andy will enlighten us.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost half the public, 46 percent, say the level of ethics and honesty in the federal government has fallen with Bush as president.

Not an easy thing to do, given that the prior president was Bill Clinton.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no doubt that Slick Willy was a lot better at lying.

I believe there are a few reasons that it is falling now. It is not just the White Houses' fault. The House and the Senate could take some of the blame. You can also put some of the blame on Coin Gate.

Delay, Frist, Tom Noe, Scooter
Old 10-30-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Maybe Some Reasons Why

-The Senate Intelligence Committee released its initial findings on prewar integlligence in July 2005. The committee's Republican chairman, Pat Roberts, promised that a Phase 2 to determine whether the White House had misled the public would arrive after the presidential election. It still hasn't. Murray Waas reported in the National Journal on Thursday that Vice President Cheney and Scooter Libby had refused to provide the committee with crucial documents, including Scooter Libby-written pasages from early drafts of Colin Powell's presentation of WMD evidence to the U.N.

-Vice President Cheney, early on, said that American troops would be greeted as liberators in Iraq. Last summer, he said the insurgency was in its last throes.

-In December, 2001, Cheney, on "Meet the Press" said "it's been pretty well confirmed" that there was a direct pre-9/11 link betwen Mohammed Atta and Iraqi intelligence. When that link was later disproved, Cheney was confronted about his Meet the Press remark by Gloria Borger on CNBC. Three times Cheney told her that he never said it.

-President Bush said in May, 2003, "We found the weapons of mass destruction."

-Earlier this month, the president announced the foiling of ten AL Qaeda plots. USA Today reported last week that at least six of the ten "involved preliminary ideas about potential attacks, not terrorist operations that were about to be carried out."

-In June, President Bush said that "federal terorism investigations have resulted in charges against more than 400 suspects" and that "more than half" of those had been convicted. The Washington Post found that only 39 of these convictions had involved terrorism or national security.

-Keith Olbermann recently compiled 13 "coincidences" in which "a political downturn for the administration is followed by a 'terror event'--a change in alert status, an arrest, a warning." For example, in 2002, during the fallout from the televised testimony of FBI whistle-blower Coleen Rowley, John Ashcroft broadcast via satellite from Russia that the government had "disrupted an unfolding terrorist plot" to explode a dirty bomb. What he was actually referring to was the arrest of one person, Jose Padilla, for allegedly exploring such a plan. The arrest had taken place one month earlier.

At the Republican National Convention, in August, 2000, Mr. Cheney said that "on the first hour of the first day, he [President Bush] will restore decency and integrity to the Oval Office." The American people now have a lot of evidence to show them that this did not come to pass.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Maybe Some Reasons Why

I was looking for your reference source which caused you to post this...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your detailed rant was tl;dr. What I did pick up was all old news.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:56 AM

ABC-Washington Post poll.

"Your detailed rant was tl;dr." -What does that mean? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ABC-Washington Post poll.

"Your detailed rant was tl;dr." -What does that mean? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Post has absolutely nothing on their site about this poll. I finally found it on the ABC site. If anyone is interested here's the <font color="red">linky-dinky</font> . Why didn't you include this? It would have saved me a lot of time. I wanted to read it. I did. It was, interesting.

Because I have firsthand knowledge/experience with polls, I tend to be skeptical. Like the DA who can't get a ham sandwich indicted, pollsters who can't get their clients' "side" presented favorably just ain't tryin'.

No, I'm not doubting the veracity of this poll. However, without knowledge of the questions posed (not just what they ask, but how), or the "universe," I tend to disregard polls.

The pollsters in this case (TNS), btw, are a marketing research company for businesses, which may or may not have a bearing on how they ran the poll.

As I said, I think your OP was a shot. Nothing more.