Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Everyone be quiet about Able Danger

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The existence of Able Danger and its claimed identification of the 9/11 terrorists was first disclosed publicly on June 27, 2005, by Rep. Curt Weldon (R-PA), vice chairman of the House Armed Services and Homeland Security committees, in a special orders speech on the House floor.

Mr. Speaker, I rise because information has come to my attention over the past several months that is very disturbing. I have learned that, in fact, one of our Federal agencies had, in fact, identified the major New York cell of Mohamed Atta prior to 9/11; and I have learned, Mr. Speaker, that in September of 2000, that Federal agency actually was prepared to bring the FBI in and prepared to work with the FBI to take down the cell that Mohamed Atta was involved in in New York City, along with two of the other terrorists. I have also learned, Mr. Speaker, that when that recommendation was discussed within that Federal agency, the lawyers in the administration at that time said, you cannot pursue contact with the FBI against that cell. Mohamed Atta is in the U.S. on a green card, and we are fearful of the fallout from the Waco incident. So we did not allow that Federal agency to proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
On August 14, Mike Kelly, a columnist for the Bergen Record (New Jersey), described a telephone interview, arranged by the staff of Rep. Weldon, with a man who identified himself as a member of the Able Danger team but asked that his name not be revealed. In the interview the man claimed that his team had identified Mohamed Atta and three other 9/11 hijackers as likely al Qaeda terrorists operating in the United States, but were prevented from passing this information on to the FBI by government lawyers. He also claimed that he was ignored by the 9/11 Commission's staff when he approached them on two occasions to explain Able Danger's work.

On September 15, Weldon asserted that he had identified an employee who had been ordered to destroy the 2.5 terabytes (TB) of data collected by Able Danger two years before the 9/11 attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what do you think Sandy Berger was removing from the archives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at this logically, man. Let's assume for a second that we should view 9/11 through the same partisan lenses that you do.

Now, let's say we have evidence that Atta was ID'd by the Pentagon two years before 9/11. Let's say that the Pentagon in 9/2000 blocked transmission of this information to the FBI. Now you think that this is some sort of proof that Clinton directly caused 9/11 to happen. But

I'll tell you from a Democratic partisans point of view, I'd look at this and say: Bush's administration had information IDing Atta the second they took office yet for nine months they did nothign about it. This would be one more piece of evidence that Bush & Crew had the evidence they needed to stop 9/11 from happening.

Think about it. To name just three things: (1) The August PDB which said Bin Laden was determined to strike in the U.S. using planes (2) The July, 2001 memo from Phoenix FBI saying that terrorists may be using flight schools and (3) the August 2001 detention of Moussaoui which if it would have been explored by DC FBI would probably have helped them stop 9/11 from ever happening.

Now, I could add this piece of evidence and say without a doubt that Bush and company had the information they needed to stop 9/11 from happening.

I'm sure I could also pretend I was a right-wing loon and figure out a way to make this be Bill Clinton's fault, or Al Gore's fault for that matter.

But while I am very glad that people are researching what happened and that Weldon is continuing to push the envelope, at the end of the day I trust that both administrations were not treasonous. They both made some mistakes, they both missed some warning signs, et cetera. Put simply, they are both Americans.

I'm not quite sure why you insist on justifying your right-wingedness by somehow trying to prove that Bill Clinton caused 9/11, but it is pretty insane -- just as insane as me trying to prove Bush caused 9/11, which he most emphatically did not.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This news must be suppressed. Move along, nothing to see here.

[/ QUOTE ]

We need a top notch investigative team on this stat!

Or maybe:

Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at this logically, man.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not quite sure why you insist on justifying your right-wingedness by somehow trying to prove that Bill Clinton caused 9/11, but it is pretty insane -- just as insane as me trying to prove Bush caused 9/11, which he most emphatically did not.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you think I'm pushing a right-wing agenda. The purpose of the 911 (bipartisan) commission was to determine what went wrong structurally. It appears the 911 (bipartisan) commission was simply another component of a flawed process. Clearly, a lot of this story and the others you mention can be traced to the "wall of secrecy" between agencies Jamie Gorelick (from the commission) helped establish. If fallout from Waco was a consideration in future law enforcement -- it's just another example of the unintended consequences we should expect when laws are enforced by the rule of political correctness. I want this story out for the singular purpose of taking politics out of law enforcement. Your assumption that whatever knowlege the Able Danger team had would have been available to Bush is naive. If the information had been effectively supressed, there is no reason to believe it would have been resurrected prior to 911. The federal bureaucracy is a filter designed to allow credible and important information to reach the top. It's no secret Clinton had contempt for the intelligence agencies. It appears that many of the rules the Clinton team instituted were designed to prevent the agencies from properly doing their job. F**k the blame -- let's boot out all of the people who put party before duty and make the f'in system work.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
let's boot out all of the people who put party before duty and make the f'in system work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... Bush's administration had information IDing Atta the second they took office yet for nine months they did nothign about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, let's be fair here: they didn't do nothing.

John Ashcroft did pull all commercial flights from his own personal travel plans.

I mean, that's doing something, isn't it?

q/q