Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Does the site make the player?

I have not done a lot of jumping around from poker program to poker program. I played on Party Play money until I deposited money on Doyles Room. It's a much nicer and quicker program, and I prefer it over PP.

I'm just wondering- do you think the site makes the player? I've noticed that there aren't many fish on Doyles Room. If there is one, they usually don't last long. I have difficulty winning the NL cash games, even at the micros. I must say, the tourneys and SNGs are fabulous though.

Should I get out of this situation? I have, since depositing money on Doyles, either broke even or lost in cash games and win most SNGs, making me ~break-even after a few months. (It should be said I don't play often anymore). I think part of the reason I've lost my love of cash games is because of the players on this site. Are the players on other sites different? Do you think the type of players that a program called "Doyles Room" attract are different than on other sites?

Any input on this would be appreciated. I have been rolling this around in my head for a while and would really like other opinions. If I've missed any important info, let me know. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Does the site make the player?

Depends on your goals. Looser games use fewer skills, especially if they are passive. Therefore easier profit.

You will not learn to beat the bigger/tougher games without playing in them. Getting low limit experience there has value. The "party" should continue for at least a few years, but eventually you will want to be able to beat tougher games.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Does the site make the player?

The opponents make the player. You can find tough tables at any site, just some sites may have a different distribution of weak players than other sites.