Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 AM

Default UB\'s ultra turbo sit and goes

Anyone try one of these?
Follows their normal structure but ups the blinds every 2 minutes.
After 13 hands blinds were 75-150 in a 5 dollar I tried. Is this even beatable long term? Not gonna try I just think they are a hilariously bad idea. Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: UB\'s ultra turbo sit and goes

PokerRoom has something similar. I've played 14 of the shorthanded (5 players, 2 places paid) and ITM 7 of them (1st 4 times). I know that my sample size is way too small to draw much of a conclusion, but it's been my experience that the faster blind increases make people go more insane than normal. The nice thing is that they're quick. If I have 45 min or so to kill before a multi-table tourney, I'll jump into one (most shorthanded ones are over in 30 min or less).
Hope this was of some help.
--propaganda
Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 AM

think of the $$$/hr [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 AM

"Is this even beatable long term?"

If people can't adjust to the crazy blind structure and still make poor calls then yes. Imagine what sort of turnover and variance you'd get off these.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:31 AM

I am by no means a good player, but even I was in awe of the things these people were doing. Like I said, your mileage may vary in a full 10 person game, but in the shorthanded ones at PokerRoom, I thought some of the players were just mashing the hotkeys with their palms. The play truly defied explination.
--propaganda
Old 08-01-2005, 04:52 AM

I just played in a couple (a $1 in which I was 5th and a $5 in which I was 3rd). I was thinking that people would play crazy and agressive enough that you could probably fold into the money before I played [but was going to play "normal" anyways] and after playing it was clear that folding to money usually wouldn't work. It looks like you need ~50 hands to hit the bubble and that the big blind should be between 800 and 1600 when you do it.

I think these are good practice for getting more used to aggressive push/fold steal decisions. And they are quick so they can fill the gaps between MTT and short periods of time to play. But they are only offered at the $1 and $5 SNG level right now.

I was hoping to see the 30 player ultra turbo S&G. That would be crazy.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I thought some of the players were just mashing the hotkeys with their palms.

[/ QUOTE ]
I nearly spit my drink onto my keyboard. nh