Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: 4 hands, 3 big slicks, 10th place

[ QUOTE ]
Ok curtains, you raise to 45 if early in the pot with AK, I do the same.
What about you are in late position with AK and you have 3 or 4 limpers at level 1. AK plays better vs 1 opponent than 4 so how much do you raise here? Raising to 45 won't do anything to drive anyone out of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I adjust my raise amount based on number of limpers. I'd normally make it like 115 or something with 3-4 limpers.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Ok, thanks for the reply.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:28 PM

And another option to use also. Thanks also.

Funny that both very good players have different ways of playing the same hand.

Not saying one is better, just different.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:31 PM

btw depending on my mood, I sometimes just call with AK against a ton of limpers. Probably it's not theoretically best, I just feel comfortable doing it sometimes.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:43 PM

What did I mean by panic/tilt play?

I've found a large fraction of my misplays involve hands like dfscott's first one here where I'm either way ahead or way behind. I don't know which one, so I panic and go all-in. My intuition is that another ace with a weaker kicker won't call an all-in, but maybe I'm giving my opponents too much credit, or maybe it's a leak in my game that I would never be getting myself into the position opposite dfscott in that hand with less than AK in the early rounds. In any case, it doesn't seem as though there is any better hand that will fold to his all-in, and worse hands will often fold, and therefore it is too large of a bet.

Slim, who is a super-tight rock and would fold to an obvious show of strength
Old 06-07-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've actually made my standard raise size 60 in level 1 because of this problem. No big deal if I get more callers, the point is to outplay them postflop anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adanthar and Curtains, let's talk more about this statement.

In general, I agree with this statement. At the same time I'm hesitant to follow it. I'd like to talk more about postflop with an A or a K hitting the flop, with one, two or three callers.

The real question I have is, how do you "sniff" out the set? I've lost many a stack to people hitting their set. Hell, I've lost my entire stack on a $55, when I raised to t125 on level 2 with KK, when the SB called me with 22. But back to AK. I've always been under the impression that SitNGos are pedal to the metal poker. Am I just to accept the beats I get from people hitting their set, or what's the best line to figure it out?

Let's make an example:
Level 1, first hand. Hero is UTG with AKo. Hero raises to t60.
MP calls
Button calls
BB calls

Flop is K95r

BB checks to you. What's your strategy for the hand at this point? Also, let's consider this a $33. So starting stack is t800.

Thanks. Scuba
Old 06-07-2005, 01:49 PM

No one ever has a set at $33 and under in a headsup pot when I have top pair top kicker on a drawless or mildy coordinated board. At least that's my strategy.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No one ever has a set at $33 and under in a headsup pot when I have top pair top kicker on a drawless or mildy coordinated board. At least that's my strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning ur going broke with this hand here?

In the meantime, could you provide a little more as to my original question. What is your thought/strategy/betting from here?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:56 PM

Well usually Im winning a small/medium sized pot or doubling up, but yes sometimes I will go broke.

btw I have been awake like 20 hours straight and am exhausted. Was too exhausted to pay attention to exact details fo your hand, namely that there are 3 oppnents and not one! Sometimes I will get all my money in, but there are things that could make me fold....but they are rare indeed!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:58 PM

btw scuba, in that spot Id bet like 150...and call any single raise for all my chips. I also don't raise to 60 preflop but whatever, every now and then I do for variety.