Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Is this a textbook weak tight play?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter

Hero (t3738)
BB (t5000)
UTG (t1292)
MP (t975)
Button (t2495)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t1000) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, BB calls t700.

Turn: (t2800) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: (t2800) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Final Pot: t3200

What did I do wrong here? I feel I misplayed the turn first of all. Not sure how much to pop there, and not sure why I checked.

Also, I felt the way he was playing he was drawing the heart flush. His $200 river bet seemed like a call inducing bet, and I was afraid to be reraised all-in for a touch decision as BB had me covered.

Side note: I am coming back to poker after 2-3 months off, so I don't feel like I'm anywhere near top of my game.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Is this a textbook weak tight play?

On the turn, even though I hit the set, with the two hearts out there, I want him to pay big for the river. If he's going to call, he's going to call, he's going to call for the rest of my stack. With the hearts out there, I don't like giving him the chance to see a free river card.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:25 AM

Had you been stealing a bunch lately? First thing that came to mind is he's a big stack on a resteal PF, then maybe hit a J or a coupla hearts on the flop. How did he come into all his chips? River bet could either be a luring bet or a last-ditch attempt to try to buy a t2800 pot.

Or maybe he's just got aces. I suppose a read here would be helpful.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:46 AM

The pot's plenty big enough to take it on the turn, and you've got the nuts, so bet it. You're going to need to bet most of your remaining stack to properly discourage the flush draw, and he called a big raise on the flop, so I don't think pushing the turn is out of the question, you'll look like you're stealing and probably get called by a fair number of hands you have crushed.

Given the way you played it, you have to call that river bet, raising gets you nothing (unless your opponent is a complete idiot) and folding a T3000 pot for 200 with a set is silly.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 AM

I reraise to 1000 pre flop just to see if bb was on a resteal.

On the turn you almost have to push because you are the 2nd stack playing against the big stack. If a brodway or an heart comes on the river and BB pushes it will be hard for you to call, so push on the turn to take this play away.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:08 AM

Shove the turn. Holla.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 AM

I'd reraise preflop unless I knew villain to be very aggressive as chipleader.

I don't mind trapping so much with AA-KK but QQ is too vulnerable I think.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks guys. Most replies are of the same general idea. I have no idea why I checked the turn. I was really setting myself up for a tough river call if a bad card came, and it did. Luckily BB was so weak that he min bet 200 on a 3000 pot and it was an easy call. If he pushed or bet t1000+, it would have been a crying call I believe. Like I said, been away from the game for a couple months so the thought process isn't there yet. It's amazing how you lose some of that on time off.

Anyway, I called the river and he tabled AKo. I should have crippled him on this hand, but hey I'm still learning. I did go on to win the tournament though, this guy spewed and came in 4th.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:37 AM

On the turn, you now have the nuts. However, there are sooooooo many redraws to possible holdings of his, with the possible exception of AJ. If he looked you up with AK, he has straight outs. If he has the nut flush draw, he has outs. If he had AJ spades, he has outs. If he has AK hearts, he has a lot of outs.

I think I jam this turn anyway. You've already gotten paid.