Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Party 25nl beginning strategy obsevations

Are the following ideas a very basic primer on NL25 strategy. I am just converting from limit and want to make sure I have the right idea. Presently, down 7 buyins after 1900 hands. Isn't poker fun?

Playing 22-JJ for raises up to 10% of my stack hoping to flop set.
Raising big pairs AA KK QQ and hoping to get it all in preflop.
Folding almost always from EP and MP.
Taking down alot of small pots waiting for someone to make a mistake.
Any glaring omissions? Thanks, MrG
Old 08-11-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Party 25nl beginning strategy obsevations

10% of your stack may be too much with most pairs to call a raise with, especially if it's heads up. 5% sounds more reasonable, and you can increase that number somewhat as more people come in.

I don't know what play is like at 25NL but I'd usually be wary of getting QQ all-in preflop (maybe it is OK at the 25NL tables though)

I have no clue what you mean by "taking down alot of small pots waiting for someone to make a mistake"

An important thing is also to raise more when you are in blinds or out of position with big hands. Keep that in mind.

Ryan
Old 08-11-2005, 08:44 PM

My small pots comment means when I hit a set or the flop hits me and I make a pot sized bet everyone folds.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:50 PM

waiting for mistakes = passive, forcing mistakes = aggressive. try to be aggressive.

mostly folding in EP is good, in MP you can open up more.

when calling raises with pocket pairs, consider the number of opponents as well as stack sizes. If 2 others have already called the raise, i'll happily call for 10% of my stack or more. I also personally hate 22-44, and will only play them when its cheap and i have good position.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are the following ideas a very basic primer on NL25 strategy. I am just converting from limit and want to make sure I have the right idea. Presently, down 7 buyins after 1900 hands. Isn't poker fun?

Playing 22-JJ for raises up to 10% of my stack hoping to flop set.
Raising big pairs AA KK QQ and hoping to get it all in preflop.
Folding almost always from EP and MP.
Taking down alot of small pots waiting for someone to make a mistake.
Any glaring omissions? Thanks, MrG

[/ QUOTE ]

I play TT/JJ for more then just set value but I seem to be in the minority here and may be adjusting here shortly.

Assuming you are in position, I think the rule of thumb is 5% or less is a no-brainer. in between 5% and 10% I'd like to be considering (a) stack sizes (b) immediate pot odds (c) implied odds (how aggressive other players are and how likely they are to pay me off).
Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 PM

More important is if you are playing the 6 max donkfest or the weakie tight 10 man. 6max QQ or JJ with an idiot its okay to go in preflop. 10man most likely he has you big time, the games are night and day. I remember I stopped playing that game for 6 months and I went back and made way too many mistakes with JJ and QQ because I assumed the players were donkeys who were overplaying AK.........
Old 08-12-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My small pots comment means when I hit a set or the flop hits me and I make a pot sized bet everyone folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the other players see your playing too tight. Unless the board is draw heavy a 2/3 to 3/4 pot bet is better.