Default Re: hitting a downswing when taking a shot at moving up

ok here goes

the way to approach poker is to do the following

focus on the things you can control

game/seat selection
your play

and let the rest take care of itself

simply put, "focus on what matters, and forget the rest"

maybe my points haven't been clear, but I am trying to help you see where to go from here.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:54 AM

Go play nano's for a while and LAG it up. That got me out my downswing and I realized in the process that I had been playing passivly. One sign that let me know was winning pots with nothing, that had fallen off when I was on the bad side of the river. People trash downswing posters pretty good cuz there are so many, but when I went through first,the only one I have had so far, it messed with my head. It'll pass.

The Faq should have a link to some of the downswing posts like Wookies and a suggestion to do a search. Half the need is just hearing about other players coming out on top after multiple downswings. Reading old posts is effective.

Edit: My communication skills fade pretty hard this time of night!! damn!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:06 AM

I think we're hammering at this rock from opposite sides. But I we'll meet eventually.

I understand perfectly what you're saying. Focus on the parts of the game that I can control. But to my ears right now this is like saying, change the tire on your car, but don't use a jack.

Every time I end a session that is part of a multiday downswing I want to start another one soon thereafter. I know I can beat this game. I want to prove it. I'm stubborn. I tell myself that if I make the right decisions it'll work out. Then I start playing, get a few beats in a row, and am at witts end.

When you get pissed off at the game, what do you do? Do you play through it? Do you go jogging? Do you have a punching bag? Do you bash on the drums? Do you go barhopping with friends and get drunk? Do you do a home improvement project?

Anything? I'm open to ideas.

Or have you reached the point where you no longer get frustrated with the game? And if so, how did you get to that point?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go play nano's for a while and LAG it up. That got me out my downswing and I realized in the process that I had been playing passivly. One sign that let me know was winning pots with nothing, that had fallen off when I was on the bad side of the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you able to translate this refound aggression to your normal limit? For instance, I've noticed that at .5/1, I have AK and raise it up pf, flop comes something like 599r, I'll bet and it'll fold around to me and I'll pick it right up. But at 2/4 the players are more apt to call this bet and not yield so much to my aggression.

[ QUOTE ]
My communication skills fade pretty hard this time of night!! damn!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah man. This is exactly what I was looking for. Something concrete to do.