Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: hitting a downswing when taking a shot at moving up

Generalities are obviously not what you are looking for. How about posting a few hands where you think you are unfocused and undisciplined? The folks here can be very specific with advise and techniques and lines of play when they have something to work with. Good luck...not that luck has anything to do with it.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but if you know you are playing well, that is what matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this was the point of my whole post. What I'm asking advice for has nothing to do with my play. I have no problem with the way I'm playing. But we all know a 'good' player who lacks discipline loses in the long run. And so many beats in so few a time has really gotten to me.

So what I wanted were tips for focusing and improving my discipline. I should've realized microlimit wasn't the forum to post this in. I apologize.

Good day ladies and gentlemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

hooray for acting all high and mighty

I've went through 100+downswings at 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 and am in a similar situation at 5/10 right now at -58BB .. first thing you need to realize is that its never 100% variance, 99% of players play worse when things aren't going well, bad calls, bad folds .. tilt-raises, so stop thinking you are an expert getting hit with the variance stick, and look at your game, you'll find things that aren't good, don't worry everybody does

secondly, stop worrying so much about your results over a such a small sample, I couldn't see your stats, as the pic was tiny .. but I think you mentioned 75BB in 600hands, which isn't anything too unreasonable, and certainly not the worst you'll see.

getting to the point where the normal day to day swings doesn't bother you is a long process, and one that starts over at each new level I move upto, and basically its something where you have to tough it out, vent a little, and be real introspective of your game, saying that you "have no problem with the way you are playing" is a cop-out, you most certainly should be worried with the way you are playing, as you have leaks(everyone does) saying I don't need to work on my game outside of discipline coming from a 2/4 player is foolish, maybe someone who's beating 100/200 can say that, but you have fundamental leaks(again everyone does).

so the key is to always be critical of your play, and spend time reading and posting
Old 10-15-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel better, i took a shot at 1/2last night. Dropped 70$ (35BB).

if you think you can chrush it, stick to it and adjust slightly providing you have the BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better, I took a shot at 5/10 last night. lost $200 (20bb, 50 at my current level).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? 20bb? Please say it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally uncalled for, and seriously your whine post is the same [censored] thing
Old 10-15-2005, 08:39 PM

LOL "Is this a joke? 20 bb?"

hey fcking whiner, get a life and learn how to play poker.

edit: lol i love posting in these threads
Old 10-15-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hooray for acting all high and mighty

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the advice in this thread has been good so far? If so, which?

[ QUOTE ]
first thing you need to realize is that its never 100% variance, 99% of players play worse when things aren't going well, bad calls, bad folds .. tilt-raises, so stop thinking you are an expert getting hit with the variance stick, and look at your game, you'll find things that aren't good, don't worry everybody does

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I realize it isn't all variance. That's why I included the back story. I was hoping to explain that I'm not some novice played 1000 hands at .5/1 party whining baby. Apparently I did a very poor job of explaining my thoughts.

[ QUOTE ]
getting to the point where the normal day to day swings doesn't bother you is a long process

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me if these are the stats of a normal day to day downswing, because if they are, I'm quitting forever:

KK: -27BB.
KJo: -15bb.
AJo: -11bb.
AQs: -11bb.
A9s: -9bb.
KTs: -9bb.
AKs: -8bb.
KQs: -7.5bb.
A9o: -5bb.
TT: -5bb.
ATo: -4bb.

Severl other hands are underperforming as well.

Look, we both know that individually these are ridiculously small amounts to worry about. The part that is bothering me is how many of these good hands are losing. Most of that list reads like a fricken premium cards starting hand char.

Maybe you still don't believe me.

My VPIP is fricken 14 w/ 8pfr. Low end of the spectrum for sure. I'm a tight a$$. But check this out: my w$wsf is 25, wtsd 32, and w$sd 43.

Now come on. With a 14vpip you know the cards that I'm playing and you sure as well know that that w$wsf and w$sd is ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
tough it out, vent a little, and be real introspective of your game

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, if someone would've said this earlier, it would've helped a lot. This is the best advice in this thread so far. By far.

[ QUOTE ]
saying that you "have no problem with the way you are playing" is a cop-out, you most certainly should be worried with the way you are playing, as you have leaks(everyone does) saying I don't need to work on my game outside of discipline coming from a 2/4 player is foolish, maybe someone who's beating 100/200 can say that, but you have fundamental leaks(again everyone does).

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of that statement was to convey that I believe my game is capable of beating 2/4 quite easily. I'm not saying I'm the best poker player ever, I'm not even saying that I'm a good poker player. I'm saying the players at 2/4 are worse than me.

[ QUOTE ]
so the key is to always be critical of your play, and spend time reading and posting

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't posted much. But I've spent more time reading than I should. I'm reading this site every day. Psychology, micro, HUSH. Usually I find the posts to be very helpful.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL "Is this a joke? 20 bb?"

hey fcking whiner, get a life and learn how to play poker.

edit: lol i love posting in these threads

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow miles. You are one of the guys in this micro forum that I respect. I've read the micro forum for close to 6 months and it doesn't take a genius to tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesnt.

I usually look forward to reading your posts and advice. I was actually hoping that you would be one of the first people to reply to this offering me some advice.

Damn.

And FYI, I thought the poster might have been using some sarcasm to scold me for what has apparently been percieved as whining.

Damn miles.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Please tell me if these are the stats of a normal day to day downswing, because if they are, I'm quitting forever:

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe poker isn't you game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 10:24 PM

My biggest thing is that if you move back down, when your downswing stops (if you believe/you're sure it's that) you'll only make one-half the profit you're entitled to. If you're bankroll was sufficient before the downswing, keep plugging. If you're playing well, you'll be back soon.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Severl other hands are underperforming as well.

Look, we both know that individually these are ridiculously small amounts to worry about. The part that is bothering me is how many of these good hands are losing. Most of that list reads like a fricken premium cards starting hand char.

Maybe you still don't believe me.

My VPIP is fricken 14 w/ 8pfr. Low end of the spectrum for sure. I'm a tight a$$. But check this out: my w$wsf is 25, wtsd 32, and w$sd 43.

Now come on. With a 14vpip you know the cards that I'm playing and you sure as well know that that w$wsf and w$sd is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, for the hands you listed, I'm guessing the sample size for the offsuit hands is in the 5-12range, the pairs in the 0-6range, suited hands in the 0-5range roughly .. about right?? so you are worrying over samples like that? that will only lead to problems, granted you should be looking over the hands for mistakes, but you shouldn't be concerned about the results with that kind of sample

re: VPIP/PFR/WSF/WSD/W$SD

VPIP and PFR converge pretty fast, but definetly are gonna have good 600hand runs, bad 600hand runs, and average 600hand runs .. and could fluctuate a fair bit

the other 3 stats are postflop based, so look you've seen maybe 100-120flops counting the times you get free looks from the BB, so its a much smaller sample of an already small sample ... so the point is don't look into it too far.

I myself have trouble with over-emphasising results, its something I really have been working on, face facts its more fun when things are going well, and you are running tables over, then when things are rough, and your good hands are bricking out/getting outdrawn. But the majority of your post isn't concerned with your play, just look at these numbers and tell me what's wrong, when your focus should be on did I play well, and if not what was I doing wrong, how do I correct those mistakes so I don't make them in the future
Old 10-16-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the majority of your post isn't concerned with your play, just look at these numbers and tell me what's wrong, when your focus should be on did I play well, and if not what was I doing wrong, how do I correct those mistakes so I don't make them in the future

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize my focus should be on my play. Whether I make the right decisions, whether I even know what the right decisions are. The problem is that I've lost so much in so short of term (its up to 150bb in 1500 hands now) I stop focusing on my play. I start focusing on how much I'm getting 'screwed'.

The whole point of my OP was to ask you guys for advice on how to clear my mind and start focusing on my play. I feel that my game as is can beat pp 2/4 healthily. I'm not saying I don't have problems with my game. I even admitted it. But the point is I need to get back to focusing on my game.

I don't understand what's so hard to comprehend here. And I also don't understand why people started attacking me for whining. I'm not bitching about the cards being cruel to me or the fish sucking out. I'm just stating what happened and asking for help on how to put it behind me. Which seems mor e psychological than microlimit. This is why I said I may have posted in the wrong forum. Not because I think I'm 'high and mighty'.

Am I not making myself clear?