Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: hitting a downswing when taking a shot at moving up

[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel better, i took a shot at 1/2last night. Dropped 70$ (35BB).

if you think you can chrush it, stick to it and adjust slightly providing you have the BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better, I took a shot at 5/10 last night. lost $200 (20bb, 50 at my current level). Fishiest table I've sat on in a long while. VPIP was near 40%. Good experience, bad luck. I am not dissatisfied with my play one bit. When my top set gets cracked by a runner runner gutshot broadway str8, I just laughed and made a note. It happens, just continue to plya your A game.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel better, i took a shot at 1/2last night. Dropped 70$ (35BB).

if you think you can chrush it, stick to it and adjust slightly providing you have the BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better, I took a shot at 5/10 last night. lost $200 (20bb, 50 at my current level).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? 20bb? Please say it is.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:39 PM

In my first 10K hands at 1/2 6Max I had a winrate over 4BB, next thing I know I have 7K hands break-even. If your main goal is to test if you are good enough for a limit, you probably need to hang in there for a while, don't let the downswing scares you. Everytime I move up to a new limit, I hit a downswing too. You definitely need to adjust some aspects of your game to survive.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my first 10K hands at 1/2 6Max I had a winrate over 4BB, next thing I know I have 7K hands break-even. If your main goal is to test if you are good enough for a limit, you probably need to hang in there for a while, don't let the downswing scares you. Everytime I move up to a new limit, I hit a downswing too. You definitely need to adjust some aspects of your game to survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I continuously work on adjusting my game, whether I'm moving up a limit or not. Besides, party 1/2 and 2/4 aren't very different from what I can tell. The 2/4 players may be worse.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it makes you feel any better, I took a shot at 5/10 last night. lost $200 (20bb, 50 at my current level).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? 20bb? Please say it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
He was referring to how that's not much money at 5/10, but a lot more significant at the level he usually plays (which would be 2/4).
Old 10-15-2005, 06:31 PM

Why do you ask for help and advise and then trash the help and advise that's offered? Sounds like you don't really need or want it. We all have downswings. If your playing good poker it'll work out. If'n ya aint....
Old 10-15-2005, 06:43 PM

ouch $200 hurts.

Im down $120 after 1/2

UB SUCKS ASS - I played there past few days im down over $80 there (1/2). poor site full of tags and no one raises AA/AK so hard to read them too. Geee im never going to that place ever again.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:58 PM

There are way too many downswing posts going on in this forum. There was a near identical one yesterday. Everybody has downswings - I blew $800 in 2-3 days when I first moved up to 3/6. I know your confidence may be low, and you are looking for support, but if you know you are playing well, that is what matters. Maybe if you are still losing after 25K hands, then you can make a post like this. Don't just post because you had a 3K hand downswing - they happen ALL THE TIME. Post some hands, reply to hands, read SSH again etc.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:01 PM

When the swings start getting to you I think it is important to try to focus on having fun at poker instead of trying to outplay everyone all the time.

I have the Poki's Poker Academy software and I start lagging it up for fun. Especially at no-limit. It's a good way to release tension. Try to see how aggressive you can play and still make money.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if you know you are playing well, that is what matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this was the point of my whole post. What I'm asking advice for has nothing to do with my play. I have no problem with the way I'm playing. But we all know a 'good' player who lacks discipline loses in the long run. And so many beats in so few a time has really gotten to me.

So what I wanted were tips for focusing and improving my discipline. I should've realized microlimit wasn't the forum to post this in. I apologize.

Good day ladies and gentlemen.