Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Fancy move that just got lucky?

My table image at this point would probably be weak/tight. My read on mp3 (hijack?) is that of a solid tight/aggressive player. However given my table image and the players position, I put him on a wide range of hands.

Was this the correct line or would a bet/call, c'r river be a better a better line? I'm not used to playing full ring games which is why I'm wondering whether this was too fancy a play.

I realize that my call pre-flop against a solid player like reggiman was very weak. Once i've made that mistake though, what's the best line possible?
PokerStars 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.33 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (9.33 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11.33 BB
Old 10-03-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Fancy move that just got lucky?

You voluntarily put in a lot of bets before hitting the straight. Looks like you were fortunate this time, but if you would be upset at your play had you lost the hand then I think you'd know you spewed a little.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:23 PM

check call turn.

Barron
Old 10-03-2005, 03:24 PM

He's probably folding close to zilch with that flop action and that flop so there isn't much of any reason to raise the turn.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:25 PM

i dont understand your turn raise
Old 10-03-2005, 03:29 PM

I would fold preflop. Yeah, I know you're getting 3.5:1 and all that good stuff, but you're heads up out of position. Your hand is all about implied odds, and you won't get any implied odds when you're heads up.

But given that you called, there are lots of way to play it postflop, and the flop line you chose is fine. However, once MP3 3-bets, it's very likely that he's not folding. So I'm not sure if that extra bet you put in on the turn is +EV.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand your turn raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying none of you would fold a hand like kq Aj A10 A8 kj k10 qj given my action on that board? I checkraised on the turn to take him off of a better hand in case my draw didnt hit. In retrospect this does feel like chip spewage but I just dont feel comfortable with being bet at on the turn by q k or a high then checked behind on the river when nothing hits.