Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 06:02 PM

Default poker addiction... what to do?

I am 18 years old and a freshman in college. I started playing poker when I was 16 (illegally, on partypoker). I initially deposited $200 that I had saved up as a busboy and lost it all, but then a few months later I deposited $50 and ran that up close to $2,500. I cashed out $1,600, bought a cheap old used car, and lost the rest. Since then, I haven't really won significant consistent money. I typically buy in, double/triple that buy in, cash out either the initial buy-in or less, and then lose it all.

I've noticed that there is a big difference in my mindset when I first cash in. I tend to be optimistic and plan to play every hand as well as I am able to. In this mindset, I usually win very quickly and very consistently.

The problem comes after this. I start to envision a $1000+ cashout again and move up to bigger levels and play noticeably worse. I tend to lose a big pot or two on a bad beat or bad read, and then start tilting. I want to get back to the peak I was at and do everything I can to get there, which usually results in me losing all my money.

After keeping track of my records, I've noticed this type of pattern even within my sessions. After a nice session, I often play in some absurd turbo or move up a level and lose back a significant portion of what I've just made.

I've considered quitting poker overall, because it consumes so much of my thought, makes me cranky, keeps me cooped up in my dorm, and has been a losing venue over the past year or so.

But I can't bear to stop playing. I know I am a very strong player when I am focused. I don't have this tilting problem when I play live, and of the 50+ games I've played live, I've come out short three times. Three.

I make all my money playing poker, and lose most of that money playing online poker. I know I can beat just about any game I'm in, but I have to be in the right mindset. I am consciously aware of it at the time, too. If I am off my game, I'll know it, but be so compelled to play that I'll be unable to help myself.

I don't know what to do here. I need to play poker to make money, but I have a serious problem here. There's no way I'm bussing tables again.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: poker addiction... what to do?

by the way, i am a strictly NL, shorthanded player, so losing all my money very quickly is very easy. I don't have the patience for a 7+ handed NL table, let alone fixed limits. This tells me something about my character.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way, i am a strictly NL, shorthanded player, so losing all my money very quickly is very easy. I don't have the patience for a 7+ handed NL table, let alone fixed limits. This tells me something about my character.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have answered yourself whats wrong with your play. You have no patience. To be a successful player you have to be very, very patient. Dont rush into winning all the time, take your time to make the right moves and money will follow eventually, good luck!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:22 PM

I already know that I am impatient. My question is what to do about this addiction?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have this tilting problem when I play live, and of the 50+ games I've played live, I've come out short three times. Three.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are either insanely good and playing with insanely weak players, or you are running extremely well.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:00 PM

WELL, I buy back in if i lose, and usually can make back what a lost and then some. Also, yes. My live competition is particularly weak, and because I know all the players I play with, I can adjust to each of their individual playing styles rather easily.

EDIT: Mostly I win live because I'm very good at judging when people are going to fold, and for how much. If they fold, the cards I get don't matter at all.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:43 PM

You have said that you have an addiction. I honestly can't say whether you have one or not. I am going strictly by what you have said. If you are truly addicted, there is only one thing to do: STOP.

By definition, addictions are not controllable. You may appear to be in control for a brief time, but the addiction will take over and destroy you.

If we combine the addiction with your impatience, we have an extremely dangerous pattern.

I urge you to attend a few meetings of GA. Or go to gambleranonymous.com. If you really are an addict, stop now before you mess up your entire life.

Regards,

Al
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 PM

I hope you come to my table fiend.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you come to my table fiend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice mature reply. Jackass.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:22 PM

an even better rejoinder pecker head.