Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 07:29 PM

Default (NLHE SnG\'s) You are tight/weak to tight/aggressive

And your opponents know this. Flops seen percentage in the mid-teens. Is is theoretically correct to lower your opening standards knowing that they know this, or stick to your personal formula? Assume correct losening of starting hands as the blinds increase/people get knocked out.

My name is codewarrior, and I approved this post, even though I'm a guppie anymore... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2004, 01:12 AM

Default Re: (NLHE SnG\'s) You are tight/weak to tight/aggressive

There are so many factors to this it's ridiculous. If you're at a low enough level for the sng, your opponents likely won't even notice how often you pf raise b/c they suck. For the most part, if you are a tight player, you shouldn't lower your opening standards for fear of your opponents knowing your a tight player. If you are playing at a higher level where people are smarter and more observant, I assume they might notice too. (I play from $5 to $20 sngs).
Old 10-11-2004, 01:40 AM

Default Re: (NLHE SnG\'s) You are tight/weak to tight/aggressive

Hi codewarrior,

Are you getting action when you do play a pot? If so, then there's no reason to loosen up pre-flop. If not, there are some blinds to be stolen.

However, if your table image is ultra-tight, and if your opponents are observant, then you will need to adjust your post-flop play. If good opponents observe you to be ultra-tight, they will tighten up when you're in the pot. When they do play a pot with you, they're likely to be playing stronger hands than you've seen them playing against loose opponents. (The diagnostic here is when you feel like your opponents play rags against each other, but only good cards against you....)

When this happens, you have to make the same adjustments you'd make against tight opponents: bluff and semi-bluff more (but give up your bluffs when you are called), and be cautious about value betting with marginal hands (including unimproved big pairs).

Cris