Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-11-2005, 04:15 AM

Default Party Poker called me today..

While I was eating breakfast this morning Party Poker called my home phone. Now I haven't played on Party for a long time so I thought it was kind of weird that I was getting a call from them. The guy said something about me trying to make a deposit with my credit card but being declined because of my bank. I told him I didn't remember and he told me it was back in July (which is why I didn't remember). He said that now I would be able to make a deposit with my credit card and proceeded to tell me that I would get a 20% deposit bonus and it also sounded like he said that a free $10 was added to my account already as a bonus (it was a little hard to make out what he was saying because of his accent). I told him thanks for letting me know and was getting ready to hang up but he then asked for my 16 digit credit card number and said he was going to make a deposit for me! I told him no thanks, I'll do it on my own time and he proceeded to ask me for it again. I told him I'll deposit myself later if I decide I want to and then he just abruptly hung up without saying anything. I thought this call was very strange and rude. I also checked my PP account and I don't have $10 free like it sounded like he told me. Has something like this happened to anyone else?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Party Poker called me today..

obvious scammer
Old 12-11-2005, 04:27 AM

The weird thing is that he knew my Party Poker screen name and email address and he also knew when I last tried to make a deposit..Another strange thing is that he first said that I tried to make a deposit with my Visa card, but I actually have a Master Card and don't own any Visa cards.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this call was very strange and rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, asking for your CC number should've told you everything you need to know.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 AM

it sounds like this guy probably wasn't from party.

but since he knew you had a deposit attempt in July (did you really? do you remember it now) then perhaps it's a fired, disgruntled former cust-serv rep who stole some records and is trying to scam customers or something.

I would report this incident to Party and say that you think somebody may have used something from your records and that you are very concerned.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:28 AM

Hmmmmm, yeah thats sounds pretty shady.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but since he knew you had a deposit attempt in July (did you really? do you remember it now) then perhaps it's a fired, disgruntled former cust-serv rep who stole some records and is trying to scam customers or something.

I would report this incident to Party and say that you think somebody may have used something from your records and that you are very concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure exactaly when I tried to deposit last but July sounds about right. I'm going to contact Party tomorrow and see what they have to say. Gotta get some sleep now.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

great advice micro bob!

definately follow-up with party.

cheers,
sean
Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 AM

keyword: Phishing.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:25 AM

Did he have an accent of a typical party poker support guy? Anyone person that calls you and in some point asks for a credit card number can not be trusted. I would start asking him where he was from and get more info from him. There is no way I would do this with any service.