Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Do you call oversized PF raises with small pockets?

I was discussing this with another player the other day, and wanted some other opinions on it.

Basically, say you're holding any pockets from 22-99 or so.

A significant preflop raise comes to you - about 5-6x the BB, which most likely indicates a large pocket pair (JJ,QQ,KK,AA).

While certainly dominated preflop, are the implied odds worth occasionally calling these?

The thought is hitting your set (about 1:8 or so) could pay off huge, because an overpair will often call your all-in on the flop.

Other thoughts:
- I wouldn't try this with suited connectors or Ax suited, because the flop itself won't usually give you your hand, and the turn will be expensive to see
- I would only call this against a player with a large stack, to ensure that I could get as much money possible out of the all-in.

Thoughts?

Would it be better to be in early or late position here?

EARLY: From the big stack's perspective, if someone pushes all-in first, and i'm holding overpairs, there's a decent chance I'd call.

LATE: However, many bigstacks might push all-in right off the bat to protect against draws.

Typical cash games are $20NL buyin, .25/50 blinds, table of mostly LAG's.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Do you call oversized PF raises with small pockets?

At the low limit tables I'll call just about any PF raise with a small PP as long as

1. He isn't a rock and thus will pay me off if I hit my set
2. The stacks are deep enough

Obviously being in position is always advantageous.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Do you call oversized PF raises with small pockets?

[ QUOTE ]
At the low limit tables I'll call just about any PF raise with a small PP as long as

1. He isn't a rock and thus will pay me off if I hit my set
2. The stacks are deep enough

Obviously being in position is always advantageous.

[/ QUOTE ]

To address your questions, yes, I definitely consider the player (there's 1 or 2 tight people at the table who I probably wouldn't try this against). Also, his stack needs to be at least mine or bigger for me to consider it worthwhile.

Do you still think late position is better in this case? The only real advantage I'm seeing is to make sure I'm not re-raised / put all-in preflop. Then, I'm basically screwed and have to fold.

Other than that, if my set hits, I'm probably good to go, regardless of position.

I love the fact that pockets are almost always hidden and hit hard on the flop, unlike flush and straight draws.