Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 07-10-2005, 10:03 PM

Default The Culture of Politics and Vice Versa

The French adore Patti Smith

From the Article:

' Smith, 58, was presented with the insignia of Commander of the Order of the Arts and Letters by Culture Minister Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres.

The ministry, in a statement, noted Smith's appreciation for 19th century French poet Arthur Rimbaud, and praised her as "one of the most influential artists in women's rock 'n' roll." '

Arthur Rimbaud was a wild and savage romantic, drunken rebel and rambler, sexual misfit shot by his male lover, who composed his entire oeuvre of poems between the ages of 15 and 19, mostly under the influence of absinthe and opium. After that he stopped writing poems and lead a wondering and worthless life until he finally decomposed into a deliurm at Marseilles. He is buried in his home town, Charleville-mezeres near the Belgium border.

He is a perfect mirror for the French, right down to his Grand Poems.

-Zeno
Old 07-10-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: The Culture of Politics and Vice Versa

LOL,
they probably adore him for great poems. BTW, having a male lower and using some dope is something that many Parisians would not raise their eyebrow about.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:20 PM

I studied his poems in France. They are beautifully written. As for your comparison to all french... Don't be an idiot please!
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I studied his poems in France. They are beautifully written. As for your comparison to all french... Don't be an idiot please!

[/ QUOTE ]

Being from a country, that praises a bad actor who then went on to support dictators conducting massacres, he has nothing to brag about Mslif. He has lost before it starts.

Silly game though.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be an idiot please!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it pleases me to be an idiot I will do so and that is my business.

But the mirror I spoke of was in regards to two different revolutions - The American and the French. The American Revolution carried on and when forth in a positive manner, The French Revolution decomposed into a delirium of violence and then a dictator sprang forth from Corsica and led the French into a war orgy. All done in the Grand Manner. Sort of an analogy to Rimbuad's teenage years. I approve of all this rubbish just to make that clear.

If you find nothing amusing about the French honoring the Punk Rocker Patti Smith in addition to the cultural minister making reference to Patti's infatuation with Arthur Rimbuad, then I submit you have no appreciation of the absurd.

All praise to Paul Verlaine.

Le Misanthrope
Old 07-10-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be an idiot please!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it pleases me to be an idiot I will do so and that is my business.

But the mirror I spoke of was in regards to two different revolutions - The American and the French. The American Revolution carried on and when forth in a positive manner, The French Revolution decomposed into a delirium of violence and then a dictator sprang forth from Corsica and led the French into a war orgy. All done in the Grand Manner. Sort of an analogy to Rimbuad's teenage years. I approve of all this rubbish just to make that clear.

If you find nothing amusing about the French honoring the Punk Rocker Patti Smith in addition to the cultural minister making reference to Patti's infatuation with Arthur Rimbuad, then I submit you have no appreciation of the absurd.

All praise to Paul Verlaine.

Le Misanthrope

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so right... The american revolution lead to hapiness and everything being "positive"... Slavery was just such a wonderful time in your history.
I'll admit that comparing Rimbaud to Patty Smith is completeky idiotic and an insult to french literature but don't put an entire culture in the same bag.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:46 PM

The country one is born in is a random joke of the universe and does not require a defense.

You got a laugh from my initial post. That is all I was really after.

Aganist the assult of laughter nothing can stand. - Mark Twain.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:54 PM

Positive progression comes in steps, not wholesale, that is human nature. Don't you start being an idiot, now.

-Zeno
Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Positive progression comes in steps, not wholesale, that is human nature. Don't you start being an idiot, now.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

If your theory is good for you and then it applies to France as well, smartass.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your theory is good for you and then it applies to France as well, smartass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong! The French Revolution went BACKWARDS in fits and starts, and then moved forward again. America, in fits and starts, moved forward since the Revolution; until we progressed into the marvelous and grand envy of the entire world - Unparalleled in glory, intelligence, and overall goodness (for the last 145 years mainly due to the Republican Party starting with Abe Lincoln). We also have a sense of humor in America; the one exception, it appears, is this politics forum, where seriousness has become a loathsome and vile disease.

-Zeno