Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Is this standard?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you and flawless elaborate if you see this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want him to fold his better and tying unpaired hands(KQ-KT, QJ, also QT and we get a free showdown against JT) and maybe a pair worse than Aces. You say he'll check-call TT-KK, 77-66 a lot, but I didn't read that much from OP's description of "predictable."
Old 12-17-2005, 08:02 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want him to fold his better and tying unpaired hands(KQ-KT, QJ, also QT and we get a free showdown against JT) and maybe a pair worse than Aces. You say he'll check-call TT-KK, 77-66 a lot, but I didn't read that much from OP's description of "predictable."

[/ QUOTE ]

him having KQ is a given. 12 combos of that and he'll play it that way everytime. KJ he'll 3-bet preflop say 75% of the time and KT maybe 40% of the time. so 9 and around 6 for 27 total. QJ and QT 3-bet rarely. there are 24 unweighted combos and if he 3-bets those ~15% of the time we can say he'll have 2 combos of that. so 29. then AK-A9 seem reasonable. there are 63 of those and say A8 is possible half the time, so another 4. 67 aces. 99, 88, 55 9 total. so a little less than 3-1 him having us beat, plus drawing outs, minus the times he bet-calls KK, so we can round that to 2.5-1 and we're getting way better than that so I guess this is a good spot to bluff.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:12 PM

Posting blind.

I think this is OK, though I wouldn't say standard. From what I've seen 3-betting ranges for TAGs in the SB can differ a great deal. The wider his is and the more likely he is to continuation bet the turn with his KJ, the better this looks. Also, how would you usually play diamonds or JT on this flop?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:20 PM

Yes I mean a free card.. getting to river for free, not showdown.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i have Qhigh, i want him to fold fold... turn come ace... i raise hoping he will fold many many hands that beat Qhigh but are drawing slim against a pair of aces... i realize u understand, but ive had this turn semibluff work sooo many times on this board, it is unbelievable... so many.
u have a gutter to the nizzle and some decnt pair outs for extra equity... all in all, seems like a standard play.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:54 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i have Qhigh, i want him to fold fold... turn come ace... i raise hoping he will fold many many hands that beat Qhigh but are drawing slim against a pair of aces... i realize u understand, but ive had this turn semibluff work sooo many times on this board, it is unbelievable... so many.
u have a gutter to the nizzle and some decnt pair outs for extra equity... all in all, seems like a standard play.

[/ QUOTE ]

in general i underestimate the effect of unpaired cards. i did a little basic math and KQ/KJ with a chance of QT/QJ/JT alone make it worthwhile. and that doesn't include the times he has KK

so here is a question for you. i now agree raising is better than folding, but what about calling? if he bets again on the river, we lose. if he checks, we autobet any river but a K and ahve invested 2 bets either way. by doing this we are able to save 1 bet the times he has a good hand, but get him to check-fold nearly every time that he has KQ/KJ. i don't see a straightforward TAG firing 3 times with KQ/KJ and i don't see him c/c them on the river either
Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't see a straightforward TAG firing 3 times with KQ/KJ and i don't see him c/c them on the river either

[/ QUOTE ]
ive seen ppl checkcall and c/c'd myself w/ KQ here many many times.
hate it... face him w/ the prospect of calling 2 for SD on fourth st.... the only way to get him off KQ or a small pair IME.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:00 PM

ok fair enough. thanks
Old 12-18-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty much my thinking exactly.

He folded to my raise here FWIW.