Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Time for a player ban?

I play at a home game that is usually made up of people that are familiar to me. Every so often someone will bring a friend and there usually isn't a problem. The max buyin is $100 so money shouldn't be a big issue, but the same guy has brought a friend twice, two different people, but he said they were both friends. The first time he brought a friend the guy went broke in less than an hour and then demanded his money back. He said if he didn't get his money back he was going to call the cops. Not wanting trouble we gave him his buyin back and told the regular that brought him to never bring him again. Now a few weeks later the same thing happens with a different friend. This time things got a bit ugly, and the host told the regular that he couldn't bring anyone else to the game. I'm not sure I get the scam if he trying to scam us, but a few us feel like its time for him to find a new game.

Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Time for a player ban?

I want my money back? What the heck did he think he was doing there? What would he have done if he won, give everyone their money back? People like that would never be invited to play at my game again and the friend who brought them would get a talking to about recooping the money that their friends demanded back.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:53 PM

I'd say let it go and handle it just like you have... "You can't bring anyone anymore, that's lame man!" It does seem like a scam, if the horse wins, they take the money if he loses they demand it back. He can take wild chances and get his whole stack in without risk. Not a very good scam. So who ponied up the scratch to pay these llamas?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:12 PM

I would have told him to call the cops.

I would just not let him invite anymore people.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:25 PM

Good lord, that's a lot of references to four-legged mammals in one reply. You own a ranch or did you just get back from the OTB? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Trail
Old 04-05-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said if he didn't get his money back he was going to call the cops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in an area where home poker is illegal? If that's the case you need to more carefully screen your participants.

If not, then you should have told the guy to go fornicate himself and call the cops. A reasonable percentage of cops play poker just like the rest of us, he would have had a hard time explaining what was noteworthy about your home game. Unless there were drugs or other contraband present, in which case, again, you should more carefully screen your participants.

In any event... If someone brings a person to a game, then that person is responsible for the conduct of the person they bring. PERIOD. If the "friend" asks for $100 worth of lost bankroll back after a bad night, then the guy that brought him needs to shut him up, or pay him out of his own pocket, or he can follow the miscreant out the door.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the guy...demanded his money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a twink.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 PM

I have a hard time believing the cops will care one whit about a small home poker game.

I also like the notion of making the 'regular' responsible for his friend's actions. "Your buddy can give you your buy-in if he wants, but I'm calling your bluff."

Regardless, the first time a player brought a guy like that he'd no longer be able to bring friends. The second time, he's uninvited also.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:56 PM

If the other players were seemingly ok to give him his money back, I would have told the guy if he gets his money back, he or any of his friends are never allowed to play at the game again. But I prolly would have refused to give the money back.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:18 PM

No way that loser's getting his money back. I would've made sure no one had weed etc, and then told him to call all the cops he wants. We don't take a rake in my game and I'm assuming you guys don't either. The second guy who "got ugly" would have probably just gotten the [censored] kicked out of him.
Good luck,
Matt